Great system, excellent lineup, good e-Shop, probably some of the best games out there for any current console out there, handheld or otherwise.

Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, NSMB2, Super Mario World, Mario Kart 7, Brave Default, Pilotwings are all great games off the top of my head.

Great system, excellent lineup, good e-Shop, probably some of the best games out there for any current console out there, handheld or otherwise.

Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, NSMB2, Super Mario World, Mario Kart 7, Brave Default, Pilotwings are all great games off the top of my head.

Forgive me for being ignorant but what would the e shop be used for? I thought you just bought games like a normal console.

Forgive me for being ignorant but what would the e shop be used for? I thought you just bought games like a normal console.

You can buy 3DS games in the store like normal, but you can also use up to a 32GB HCSD card (~$15 on Amazon) to store save data and purchase games from the online store. Classic Game Boy, Sega Game Gear, Genesis, and NES games are available, along with indie titles (e.g. Shovel Knight, Mutant Mudds) and full release titles (just about every 3DS store release title is available for download via the eStore).

This will require that a Nintendo Network ID be set up (only one ID per 3DS, unfortunately), and I would highly suggest signing up for an optional Club Nintendo account and linking it to your Nintendo Network ID on the 3DS.

Every time you register a game via Club Nintendo or take their follow-up surveys, you get coins. Coins can be used to purchase Nintendo-related items or, more importantly, download free retro titles (Game Boy, NES) from the eStore. For example, they recently had Kid Icarus 3D (3D NES remake), Metroid, and others available.

EDIT:

SanDisk 32GB SDHC Card for $15.89 via Amazon.com (as of this post)

Transcend 32GB SDHC Card for $16.89 via Amazon.com (as of this post)

Nintendo Network ID Information

Club Nintendo Website

Club Nintendo Rewards (NOTE: They've recently doubled the number of digital titles available to purchase w/coins, but this month's selection sucks IMO. And I've heard that Nintendo may be phasing out the physical items and going all digital with coin redemption).

You can use up to a 32GB HCSD card (~$15 on Amazon) to store save data and games you can purchase from the online store. Classic Game Boy, Sega Game Gear, Genesis, and NES games are available, along with indie titles (e.g. Shovel Knight, Mutant Mudds) and full release titles (just about every store release title is available for download via the eStore).

This will require that a Nintendo Network ID be set up (only one ID per 3DS, unfortunately), and I would highly suggest signing up for an optional Club Nintendo account and linking it to your Nintendo Network ID on the 3DS.

Every time you register a game via Club Nintendo or take their follow-up surveys, you get coins. Coins can be used to purchase Nintendo-related items or, more importantly, download free retro titles (Game Boy, NES) from the eStore. For example, they recently had Kid Icarus 3D (3D NES remake), Metroid, and others available.

Wow. That's pretty sweet. Thanks for the info.

You can use up to a 32GB HCSD card (~$15 on Amazon) to store save data and games you can purchase from the online store. Classic Game Boy, Sega Game Gear, Genesis, and NES games are available, along with indie titles (e.g. Shovel Knight, Mutant Mudds) and full release titles (just about every store release title is available for download via the eStore).

Wow. That's pretty sweet. Thanks for the info.

NP, glad to help.

You should get me one for christmas too.

Get one on your own. They should be ~$150 with a pack-in game for a 3DSXL when Christmas rolls around. Saw bundles for $150 w/MK7 or NSMB2 all the time.

I hope that's how much they are. Right now they are $189-$199 with some Mario and Luigi game installed

Wal-Mart and Fry's had bundles with a Blue 3DSXL and MK7 for $149 or $159 last Christmas, and there were a lot of $149-$159 sales with just the 3DSXL itself. Best Buy also had deals around Black Friday IIRC, but I was more concerned about my daughter's first trip to Memorial Stadium (and subsequent first national television appearance...), so I could be a bit fuzzy on that.

I also recall seeing standard 3DS systems as cheap as $129.99 last Christmas as well...and now that they have the 2DS (3DS without the 3D...or the ability to close...) for $99-$109, those should hit a price point to where the system will be as commonplace as the DS or GBA were.

I figure we'll see a small price cut before the holiday, which is why I'm confident (but not 100% sure) we'll see similar or better deals this Christmas. If I see any, I'll be sure to post/PM you, if you'd like?

EDIT: Wal-Mart has the 2DS on sale for $99...so Christmas sale prices should be interesting...

• 4 weeks later...

Saw that. Christmas shopping may commence sooner than I thought.

St. Paul, FYI, Nintendo just announced an updated 3DS with a right analog stick and extra L/R bumper buttons on the back. You may want to hold off getting a 3DS until they announce plans for this coming stateside...because there will be games that can only be played on this new 3DS.