The NY Times has some really interesting charts & graphs

How the year in which you were born influences your political beliefs. Really neat data showing why so many people of certain age groups tend to be Democrat or Republican. It shows how events in one's late teens & 20s influences their voting in their 50s & 60s. The one thing I wish they would have tracked - although maybe the phenomenon is too recent for hard data to be pulled - is the utter disillusionment of the electorate in either party, leading to a growing Independent bloc.

How Birth Year Influences Political Views

Not really sure if this is "political" but there are a lot of things you could pull from this data. I thought it was pretty interesting to see where people from my current state (Nebraska) came here from, and where they move to.

Where We Came From and Where We Went, State by State

Mapping Migration in the United States

This one's both interesting and frightening. It shows, in 255 charts, the way our economy changed since the 2008 Recession.

How the Recession Reshaped the Economy

A follow-up to the above charts is this one, showing the American Middle Class's shrinking lead over the rest of the world. Rather unsurprising when we've had a do-nothing congress for the better part of the last decade.

The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

“The idea that the median American has so much more income than the middle class in all other parts of the world is not true these days,” said Lawrence Katz, a Harvard economist who is not associated with LIS. “In 1960, we were massively richer than anyone else. In 1980, we were richer. In the 1990s, we were still richer.”

That is no longer the case, Professor Katz added.

"Death by a 1000 charts" Wow, a lot to chew on there Knapp. great info. You may want to Tag this as a resource on the top of this forum. I think we can all see and feel the impact that the last decade has had on the middle class. Every issue is politicized and nothing gets done. McConnell has already stated that if repubs get the senate - he will be forcing Obama to either to accept budget constraint riders or veto legislation leading to govt shut down. Sounds like a great plan of moving forward :facepalm: So there will not be any compromise by either side and the status quo will continue.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Mitch-McConnell-Obama-elections-spending/2014/08/20/id/589787/