2013 Punt Return Stats

2013 Jordan Westerkamp 19 returns 51 total yards 2.68 yds per return

2012 Ameer Abdullah 16 returns 209 total yards 13.06 yds per return

What will the coaching staff do to address this? Is this a personnel issue? Are Terrell Newby or De'Mornay Pierson-El the answer?

I feel like that is 10 yards that we will need per return.

I had defense on the mind. Lol, yes Terrell Newby. He had 1 retunr for 10yards last year. Westerkamp had 4 or 5 muffed punts last year. Not sure about the hands comment. I take explosive play making ability over handds in my opinion. Especially when the guy you put out there for "hands" doesnt catch the ball.

We need all the short fields we can get.

I'll go out on a limb and say Marcus Newby is NOT the answer. Terrell Newby on the other hand...... :lol:

But I don't blame Westerkamp for this. I'm not sure he's a dynamic returner but definitely a hands guy. Sounds like the scheme will be significantly different this year.

Being a punt return has far more to do with heart and desire rather than scheme. I dont see us coming after a bunch of punts, so we should have a return set up. Its one or the other.

Westerkamp had 4 or 5 muffed punts last year. Not sure about the hands comment. I take explosive play making ability over handds in my opinion. Especially when the guy you put out there for "hands" doesnt catch the ball.

This came up a day or two ago but I don't think anyone answered. I remember Westerkamp fumbling against Michigan State. He caught the ball but got hit right away and fumbled as he got thrown around. Probably should have fair-caught it. And it seems like he might have muffed one against Michigan. But I don't remember any others. When did he have all the drops?

I'll go out on a limb and say Marcus Newby is NOT the answer. Terrell Newby on the other hand...... :lol:

But I don't blame Westerkamp for this. I'm not sure he's a dynamic returner but definitely a hands guy. Sounds like the scheme will be significantly different this year.

Being a punt return has far more to do with heart and desire rather than scheme. I dont see us coming after a bunch of punts, so we should have a return set up. Its one or the other.

No, it's actually neither. It's "prevent the fake". So it had everything to do with scheme last year. Unless Westerkamp had a rocket up his arse, or possessed levitating abilities...he wasn't returning those punts.

Why are we not setting up a return. We cannot go "Punt safe" every time. Thank you for providing the video. I would love to see the cut ups for evey punt return last year (I know this is not possible). If we went punt safe on 25 of 25 punts last year, the special teams coaching staff is in question. Any kind of punt return should always have spotters to make sure the ball is punted.

Why are we not setting up a return. We cannot go "Punt safe" every time. Thank you for providing the video. I would love to see the cut ups for evey punt return last year (I know this is not possible). Why If we went punt safe on 25 of 25 punts last year, the special teams coaching staff is in question. Any kind of punt return should always have spotters to make sure the ball is punted.

Because the season hasn't started yet