Crouch Working out in Toronto

The CFL has a bunch of jacked up rules. It can make for some pretty entertaining game situations actually. Here are some of the more obvious ones:

No Fair Catches

Number of Players

CFL: 12. On offence, the additional player is a receiver. On defence, the extra man is a defensive back.

NFL: 11.

Downs

CFL: 3 to make 10 yards.

NFL: 4 to make 10 yards.

Field size

CFL: The field is 110 yards long and 65 yards wide. The two endzones are each 20 yards deep.

NFL: The field is 100 yards long and 53 yards wide. The endzones are 10 yards deep.

Scoring

CFL: A single point can be awarded for missed field goal attempts and punts that land in the endzone.

NFL: No single point is awarded.

Timing

CFL: The offensive unit has 20 seconds to put the ball in play.

NFL: Teams have 45 seconds to put the ball in motion.

Timeouts

CFL: One per half.

NFL: Three per half.

Offensive motion

CFL: Before the ball is handed from the centre to the quarterback, an unlimited number of receivers and running backs can be in motion in any direction.

NFL: Before the ball is handed from the centre to the quarterback, only one player can be moving laterally or backwards.

Line of scrimmage

CFL: Defensive players must line up at least one yard away from the football.

NFL: Defensive players are allowed to line up within one foot - the length of the football - of the offensive players.

Kickoffs

CFL: The ball is kicked off from the scoring team's 35-yard line after touchdowns and to open both the first and second half of the game. The team that is scored upon has the option of receiving a kickoff or starting from its own 35-yard line after giving up a field goal.

NFL: The scoring team kicks off from its own 35-yard line after every touchdown and field goal.

Punting

CFL: A team receiving the ball must control the football while it's still in the field of play. There is no fair catch allowed, but players on the punting team must give the receiving team five yards of space to catch or retrieve the ball.

NFL: Punts may be allowed to roll dead, may be received as a fair catch or caught and returned. A punted ball that rolls into the endzone is brought out to the 20-yard line without penalty. A fair catch occurs when the punt returner signals to the official he wants only to catch the football without being tackled and surrendering his right to run with the ball once caught.

He has to prove to someone why he was given that heisman trophy.

no he doesn't. his college career is over, he proved that his senior year. NO heisman winner should have to "prove" anything once their COLLEGE career is over.

The draft and the #1 overal pick is the reward for those with the best pro potential--not the Heisman.

flash back to '01: maybe Ken Dorsey, surrounded by 5* recruits and NFL talent should have won it. or maybe Harrington, Lions fans hate his guts (since the trophy is really about pro careers), but hey, he did have a REALLY big poster in NYC!

:sarcasm

There is no question that Crouch was a hell of an athlete at Nebraska, and made a team with fading talent actually look good.

The Huskers with Crouch in 2001: 11-2. Without Crouch in 2002: 7-7.

for me, that only confirmed his worth as a Heisman winner. Without Crouch, 2000-2001 would've been a whole lot worse IMO.

I can understand why people don't like Crouch, he's not exactly my favorite player either. he's shown on numerous occasions that when he doesn't get his way- he quits. But to question his worthiness of the Heisman based on what he hasn't done in the pros is a bit of a reach.

CFL: 12. On offence, the additional player is a receiver. On defence, the extra man is a defensive back

and offense and defense are spelled differently ;)

thanks for the run down on the rules! I didn't realize there were that many differences.

question though. did the Field Goal rules used to be different? I recall seeing somewhere that FGs over 40 yds were worth 4 points. 50+ yards were 5 points and so on. maybe i'm thinking of some other league..?

Sorry guys. I'm convinced that Eric won't play football much anymore. He should probably just come back to Nebraska and be in chiropratic commercials like Rodgers.

Thats Roger Craig in the commercials. :thumbs

I think you're right. There is one with Johnny somewhere....

A small update: I went to the Raptors vs. Spurs game last night. At the end of the 3rd quarter, Michael "Pinball" Clemons (head coach of Argos and one of Toronto's favorite personalities) was being interviewed by Norma Wick on National Canadian Television (Sportsnet). Beside him was Eric Crouch - who was also interviewed briefly.

I was at the game and don't know what the interview was comprised of. However, I did ask someone here at work today and they said it sounded like he was about to sign. Mentioned something about looking forward to coming up.

Looks like he may really be giving it a go.

A small update: I went to the Raptors vs. Spurs game last night. At the end of the 3rd quarter, Michael "Pinball" Clemons (head coach of Argos and one of Toronto's favorite personalities) was being interviewed by Norma Wick on National Canadian Television (Sportsnet). Beside him was Eric Crouch - who was also interviewed briefly.

I was at the game and don't know what the interview was comprised of. However, I did ask someone here at work today and they said it sounded like he was about to sign. Mentioned something about looking forward to coming up.

Looks like he may really be giving it a go.

good.

Now, I gotta see what I have to do to get Toronto Argonauts games through DISH.

Canuck called it.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2113597

He'll be a back up behind Allen, so hopefully Crouch will actually be patient and wait for a chance to play. his past obviously has been to the contrary.

Now, I gotta see what I have to do to get Toronto Argonauts games through DISH.

welll...one way i know of is one i plugged before. Altitude Network had a few CFL games last season, hopefully they'll have 'em again this year.

The channel is on DishNetwork in Nebraska (and most states surrounding Colorado).

http://altitude.tv/Aboutus/TerritoryMap.aspx?STATE=NE

channel 410. also Altitude2 is on various "Sports Alternate" channels in the mid-400s (usually 448).

and as a bonus they occastionally show Big XII basketball games from ESPNplus or whatever. I think the sched said the Nebraska/Baylor game is on Altitude2 on saturday, FWIW.

I remember the ol' days when ESPN used to broadcast CFL games from time to time. but that was before they declared Poker a sport.