Conference Comparison per Sagarin

Mavric

It's an interesting idea, but Sagarin's rankings are just slightly better than flipping a coin (Oklahoma as the top team in the Big 12, for example???). It's too bad we don't have any reliable way to rank teams.

Nope. They're actually the most accurate ranking that exists when it comes to predicting the Vegas lines, which are themselves the best predictor of outcomes. So, outside of Vegas, they are literally the best rankings that exist as of right now.

I'm assuming Mavric used the Predictor rankings??? I hope???

• Fire 1

Also, head-to-head, top-to-bottom lineups are an atrocious way to determine conference strength. You basically learn nothing. Sagarin actually makes conference rankings you know...using real statistics, not just listing random sh#t on a message board and then eyeballing how it looks. Unfortunately he now splits them by division. I could probably come up with a combined one in a half hour or so with a little bit of number crunching.

• Fire 1

Also, head-to-head, top-to-bottom lineups are an atrocious way to determine conference strength. You basically learn nothing. Sagarin actually makes conference rankings you know...using real statistics, not just listing random sh#t on a message board and then eyeballing how it looks. Unfortunately he now splits them by division. I could probably come up with a combined one in a half hour or so with a little bit of number crunching.

to be fair to mavric, that was kind of the original idea from a offhand comment i made in a different thread. just to discuss a straight-up top-to-bottom lineup.

I didn't know he did the conferences until know. +1 Agree that it would be nice if he also included the conference as a whole.

Here's that list. It doesn't copy/paste very well but basically both SEC divisions are #1 and #4, the Pac-12 South is second, Big XII third and all the other divisions are basically equal.

It's an interesting idea, but Sagarin's rankings are just slightly better than flipping a coin (Oklahoma as the top team in the Big 12, for example???). It's too bad we don't have any reliable way to rank teams.

Nope. They're actually the most accurate ranking that exists when it comes to predicting the Vegas lines, which are themselves the best predictor of outcomes. So, outside of Vegas, they are literally the best rankings that exist as of right now.

Right, the most accurate of a bunch of inaccurate rankings. Like I said, slightly better than flipping a coin. Plus, his rankings are only decent at the end of a season, and even then, only in the aggregate- specific teams are often very badly mis-ranked.

I didn't know he did the conferences until know. +1 Agree that it would be nice if he also included the conference as a whole.

Here's that list. It doesn't copy/paste very well but basically both SEC divisions are #1 and #4, the Pac-12 South is second, Big XII third and all the other divisions are basically equal.

Yeah, it's really annoying how he does it, because breaking down into divisions is cool for a few things, but whole conference rankings are more interesting.

Give me some time this weekend (probably Sunday after the games are played) and I'll download all the team rankings and do a mean and central mean myself for the whole conferences.

• Fire 1

Right, the most accurate of a bunch of inaccurate rankings. Like I said, slightly better than flipping a coin. Plus, his rankings are only decent at the end of a season, and even then, only in the aggregate- specific teams are often very badly mis-ranked.

With all due respect, you haven't a clue how what you're talking about

• Fire 1