jjamuss

Please, no talk of NFL coaches. Most of them are married to a system, and do not adapt to the players they have. Look at the innovation in the game, it comes from college, not the pros. Find a good college head coach to poach.

Was going to start a new thread, but will use your post to go off of.

I really think this is Bo's biggest problem. He cut his teeth in the NFL. With the Pats, Greenbay and San Fran IIRC.....He learned "system" football and the NFL way. You can see it in his coaching style:

1) Starters start until the graduate or get injured. They never sit for a mistake or miscue.

2) No real substitution or rotation of guys on the line (or really any position)

3) No real development (pros come ready to play)

4) Complex system that thrives upon execution

5) lack of fundamentals (pros already know them, that's why they're in the NFL)

6) Rigid adherence to his system

7) Plays the academic masters over the athletes (Had it not been for injury Lavonte David would never have seen the field. Think about that)

8) His continued mantra of "its just one game". This is college. Its why there's trophy games, rivalries and senior day. In the pros, you can go 9-7 and still win the SB. College, you get 2 losses your done

9) IMO, Bo just doesn't get the college game and how to teach and motivate college players....

Said in the presser, they tried to make adjustments, but the kids couldn't execute. Unsure how much Davie learned or was taught when he was yelled at from the field, to the side line to the bench by Bo. Like 60 seconds of a$$ chewing. Maybe if Bo had set the D down, but with Becks quick draw offense leaving them like 30 seconds to rest, can't learn much.........

Bo is married to a system that teams have figured out. They scheme and game plan to defeat a system that is now flawed and exposed. Bo has no other plan or system. Paps knows even less. How do you change or learn............

Beck is the exact same. He knows KU version of the spread and that's it. He can't adjust on the fly or make changes. He calls what he wants to do, not what we can do. His uptempo BS gets an already exhausted D back on the field to soon. Makes TA drop back and throw when the OL six and TA can't pass.

I'm not sure we need a Saban or a Meier to come to Nebraska and if that's what many think, then no wonder they subscribed to the "we're not going to be able to get anyone good here" mentality.

Bo did not fail just because he was a "new head coach." He failed because he's just not a good head coach at the college level. Obviously, established coaches at big-time programs do not have a monopoly on coaching talent, otherwise there never would be established coaches at big-time programs to begin with; they all had to start somewhere.

The ideal Nebraska candidate is a head coach that has had some success at a lower level or a smaller program. Someone who has had success despite less-than optimal circumstances and who might therefore succeed if given the resources available to a head coach at Nebraska. Fitzgerald is an example. Craig Bohl is another. If Pat Fitzgerald can field a competitive team in the Big 10 at Northwestern, I imagine he'd field excellent teams at Nebraska.

Isn't this what Wisconsin did when it hired Gary Anderson away from Utah State? Or what Penn State did when it hired Franklin from Vanderbilt? You find head coaches that do relatively well at less competitive environments and bring them on board.

Ubran Meyer hasnt lost ONE conference came since coming to OSU... I dont think NU should be a development program for up and coming talent. If we want to win, where is the harm in paying for it? OSU has no shame in it, neither does Alabama. Are we not in the same sentence as those programs? if you say we are not as deserving as the teams paying for HCs who win NCs, then that is the real problem, self perception.

I'm not saying we don't go after the Meyers and Sabans of the world. I'm just saying it's not essential that we get an established coach of that caliber. Do you remember where Florida plucked Meyer from? Utah. Saban? A terrible Miami Dolphins team (to whom he went after fielding a mediocre team at MSU). Where did Stanford find Jim Harbaugh? The University of San Diego (a Division II team).

If Florida, Alabama, and Stanford had success taking a chance on a head coach, why can't we?

I coulda swore he won some kind of trophy or award or something at LSU before he went to Miami...

Oh well, back to your story...