jjamuss

Maybe this has been pointed out before, but I thought I would mention it anyway. 2 things happen in 2017. 1) Bo's contract expires. 2) B1G TV revenue goes five fold for NU. Is it coincidence Bo's contract expires the same year we hit the lottery with the B1G money? I think Eichorst is holding out until 2017 before making any major changes. It makes sense for a number of reasons: paying a former employee millions and also paying a new one even more is not good business sense; recruiting goes in the wood chipper when you cut off the head of a program; and lastly is there anyone available at the moment that has the caliber of a Saban or Meyer that would want to come to Nebraska?

I see a couple of things changing among position coaches, but imho it will just be more of the same... Cotton and JP should be let go, but NU is going to get what it pays for and perhaps we have the best for the money we are spending?

Sorry, I really believed the Huskers would grind out a win last night... the only thing we will be remember for this year is being the punk that Gordon set a national record on... in 3 quarters no less!

Money is a non-factor when it comes to Nebraska football, and never let anyone tell you otherwise. The Husker football program is top 10 in revenue generation. And the potential damage that can be done by waiting around is far greater than any buyout costs. Also, you never, ever, see a college coach's contract expire. It happens in the NFL, but at any point a coach is under 4 or 5 years, they get an extension to combat negative recruiting.

I'm not sure we need a Saban or a Meier to come to Nebraska and if that's what many think, then no wonder they subscribed to the "we're not going to be able to get anyone good here" mentality.

Bo did not fail just because he was a "new head coach." He failed because he's just not a good head coach at the college level. Obviously, established coaches at big-time programs do not have a monopoly on coaching talent, otherwise there never would be established coaches at big-time programs to begin with; they all had to start somewhere.

The ideal Nebraska candidate is a head coach that has had some success at a lower level or a smaller program. Someone who has had success despite less-than optimal circumstances and who might therefore succeed if given the resources available to a head coach at Nebraska. Fitzgerald is an example. Craig Bohl is another. If Pat Fitzgerald can field a competitive team in the Big 10 at Northwestern, I imagine he'd field excellent teams at Nebraska.

Isn't this what Wisconsin did when it hired Gary Anderson away from Utah State? Or what Penn State did when it hired Franklin from Vanderbilt? You find head coaches that do relatively well at less competitive environments and bring them on board.

I'm not sure we need a Saban or a Meier to come to Nebraska and if that's what many think, then no wonder they subscribed to the "we're not going to be able to get anyone good here" mentality.

Bo did not fail just because he was a "new head coach." He failed because he's just not a good head coach at the college level. Obviously, established coaches at big-time programs do not have a monopoly on coaching talent, otherwise there never would be established coaches at big-time programs to begin with; they all had to start somewhere.

The ideal Nebraska candidate is a head coach that has had some success at a lower level or a smaller program. Someone who has had success despite less-than optimal circumstances and who might therefore succeed if given the resources available to a head coach at Nebraska. Fitzgerald is an example. Craig Bohl is another. If Pat Fitzgerald can field a competitive team in the Big 10 at Northwestern, I imagine he'd field excellent teams at Nebraska.

Isn't this what Wisconsin did when it hired Gary Anderson away from Utah State? Or what Penn State did when it hired Franklin from Vanderbilt? You find head coaches that do relatively well at less competitive environments and bring them on board.

Ubran Meyer hasnt lost ONE conference came since coming to OSU... I dont think NU should be a development program for up and coming talent. If we want to win, where is the harm in paying for it? OSU has no shame in it, neither does Alabama. Are we not in the same sentence as those programs? if you say we are not as deserving as the teams paying for HCs who win NCs, then that is the real problem, self perception.

Enough of the Craig Bohl talk. Unless he can turn Wyoming into world beaters, he shouldn't ever come up on Nebraska's radar. If we are to part ways with Bo, let's go and find someone who has that proven record, like Andersen and Franklin. And more than just a once in a blue moon good team (sorry, Mike Leach). Let's include the NFL coaches on this list as well (hello, Jim Harbaugh--who, yes, fielded a competitive team in Stanford)

Obviously, Harbaugh is a pipe dream. I don't think that'll happen.

Ubran Meyer hasnt lost ONE conference came since coming to OSU... I dont think NU should be a development program for up and coming talent. If we want to win, where is the harm in paying for it? OSU has no shame in it, neither does Alabama. Are we not in the same sentence as those programs? if you say we are not as deserving as the teams paying for HCs who win NCs, then that is the real problem, self perception.

I'm not saying we don't go after the Meyers and Sabans of the world. I'm just saying it's not essential that we get an established coach of that caliber. Do you remember where Florida plucked Meyer from? Utah. Saban? A terrible Miami Dolphins team (to whom he went after fielding a mediocre team at MSU). Where did Stanford find Jim Harbaugh? The University of San Diego (a Division II team).

If Florida, Alabama, and Stanford had success taking a chance on a head coach, why can't we?

I don't think money is the issue for firing Bo or others on the staff, even though we haven't got all that big10 money yet Nebraska is still one of the highest money makers in football, also we need a coach that has the ability to see his own deficiencies and hire a staff that can put everything together, staff is just as important as the head coach in my opinion

Enough of the Craig Bohl talk. Unless he can turn Wyoming into world beaters, he shouldn't ever come up on Nebraska's radar. If we are to part ways with Bo, let's go and find someone who has that proven record, like Andersen and Franklin. And more than just a once in a blue moon good team (sorry, Mike Leach). Let's include the NFL coaches on this list as well (hello, Jim Harbaugh--who, yes, fielded a competitive team in Stanford)

Obviously, Harbaugh is a pipe dream. I don't think that'll happen.

As much as I think he's kind of an ass, I would love Harbaugh. I love that brand of football: Power running, smash mouth with the occasional play-action pass to a beast of a tight end. It would fit Nebraska perfectly.

Sadly, if Harbaugh leaves the 49ers he's going to Michigan. Which is cool, too, as I would love to see the games between him and Urban Meyer.

I'm not saying we don't go after the Meyers and Sabans of the world. I'm just saying it's not essential that we get an established coach of that caliber. Do you remember where Florida plucked Meyer from? Utah. Saban? A terrible Miami Dolphins team (to whom he went after fielding a mediocre team at MSU National Champion at LSU). Where did Stanford find Jim Harbaugh? The University of San Diego (a Division II team).

If Florida, Alabama, and Stanford had success taking a chance on a head coach, why can't we?

FIFY

I'm not saying we don't go after the Meyers and Sabans of the world. I'm just saying it's not essential that we get an established coach of that caliber. Do you remember where Florida plucked Meyer from? Utah. Saban? A terrible Miami Dolphins team (to whom he went after fielding a mediocre team at MSU). Where did Stanford find Jim Harbaugh? The University of San Diego (a Division II team).

thats a pretty good point, but i thought we did that with Pelini and it didnt work out. Instead of doubling down on a pair or 9s, lets go all in with the Aces.