Final Recruiting Rankings

chad1971

TE was a need that may not have been addressed (immediate help?).

McNeil and possibly Pierre Allen are both TE's. Harvey from last year as well.

With Allens speed, he would be better off at DE. McNeil is one guy that I am pretty high on, but like i said IMMEDIATE need, and a true FR will likely not have that. If the WCO really needs a FAST TE to stretch the field, then Harvey and his 5.0 40 wont get the job done, and would be better served to put on 50 lbs and move to OG or DT.

JUCOs are a huge gamble, and one of the most touted may not qualify.

PS-the potential loss of Palmer could be huge.

In one part you say Juco's are a HUGE gamble but then go on to say that losing a Juco guy may be huge loss. Which is it?

They are a HUGE gamble, but at a position with only one returning player from the 2 deep (a guy who incidentally got almost no snaps last year) a decent JUCO guy would likely have had a starting job wrapped up by the time he stepped off the bus.

I listened to 1620 the Zone, and even they said that alot of "recruiting experts" were banging on NU for getting so many Jucos. I can remember 5 JUCOs in recent history that ended up being pretty good players for NU (Farley, D Williams, K Moss, T Wright, T Dumas), other than that, the JUCOs really havent panned out well for NU. So yes, since billy c had 15 in his first 2 classes, the 7 (almost 8) in this class are overkill. 22 out of 85 schollys available to JUCOS :blink:

There wasn't a JUCO DE picked up this year. Brandon Johnson is a defensive tackle.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. Brain fart by me :wacko:

The class looks reasonably decent, but lacks the big name, high profile guys that this staff was hired to get. I thought that classes like this were the reason that the coaching change was made

The average Star was 3.27. That is not you typical "Got Frank" class. His last two years were 2.11 and 2.81 by Scout standards.

Also, this class is pretty solid all the way across and comparing these guys right now to the classes that Solich got fired for bringing in is laughable, IMO.

According to Rivals-2003 class was 3.05 average stars, 2002-3.17, 2006-3.27. While the #'s werent there in 02/03, the quality was similar. Also, I believe FSs first NU class was rated something like No 8 nationally, if I remember correctly. dedhoarse

I guess I could dig out my old Lindy's mags to get the ratings if needed.

Getting some JUCO help at DE, RB, and LB was probably not the best way to go, as those are the deepest positions on the team.

We got 1 at RB, 1 and LB and 0 JUCO DE's.

I don't care how deep you are, if the kid can play get him here. Period. Besides that, did you see how our starters at LB dropped this year to injury? Same thing can happen at RB, or any position for that matter.

I guess the main point is you can't have enough good players.

Yes, yes, I know you can't know if they are good or not until they play. But that doesn't mean you don't go after kids who look good on paper and tape because really, what else do you have? I mean, you might be able to hire Ms. Cleo, but that would be just dumb. ;)

The class looks reasonably decent, but lacks the big name, high profile guys that this staff was hired to get. I thought that classes like this were the reason that the coaching change was made <_<

Oh c'mon. Give me a break. How long are you going to harp on that? Sometimes you gotta look beyond words. I probably shouldn't have said that because a lot of people "read between the lines" when, to the rest of the world, there is simply nothing there. ;)

Thats funny, when I "read between the lines" people give me the <_< Bottom line, words have meaning (to most of us).

I guess there really wasnt a throat slash :wacko:

I don't care what Pederson said, the meaning was that this staff is going to get the kids they want.

Whether they are a "big name" or not, I could care less. So could the staff. Screw a "big name".

If you really believe that, then I have some great oceanfront property to sell you in Cherry County. Real cheap too, its a steal :thumbs I guess that last years class with all the "big names" didnt mean much, huh? If this staff really got all they wanted, then guys like Palmer, Vardell, Greg Davis, Ausberry, Freeman, Deas, Cox, Eugene, etc, etc. etc, would never have been offered, and billy c would have been no better than FS.

They caught whoever would bite.

Now that's not to say that some of these kids aren't sweet pickups. They are.

Possibly, too early to tell. Problem is, NU now needs coaches to develop them.

Getting some JUCO help at DE, RB, and LB was probably not the best way to go, as those are the deepest positions on the team.

We got 1 at RB, 1 and LB and 0 JUCO DE's.

I don't care how deep you are, if the kid can play get him here. Period. Besides that, did you see how our starters at LB dropped this year to injury? Same thing can happen at RB, or any position for that matter.

I guess the main point is you can't have enough good players.

Yes, yes, I know you can't know if they are good or not until they play. But that doesn't mean you don't go after kids who look good on paper and tape because really, what else do you have? I mean, you might be able to hire Ms. Cleo, but that would be just dumb. ;)

Really, so we need 5 qbs on scholly (only 2 that are Div 1 quality), yet only have 1 safety :dumdum

Already are 4 deep at RB, tons of WRs, quite a few LBs and DEs, yet more were brought in (some of questionable quality), yet still very thin at CB??

I dont buy it.

According to Rivals-2003 class was 3.05 average stars, 2002-3.17, 2006-3.27. While the #'s werent there in 02/03, the quality was similar. Also, I believe FSs first NU class was rated something like No 8 nationally, if I remember correctly. dedhoarse

I guess I could dig out my old Lindy's mags to get the ratings if needed.

I don't know where you got that number for 02, but rivals lists an average rating of 2.95. Solich's first class was ranked 8th because they had just won a national championship and Tom Osborne gift wrapped the final recruiting class for him. This would be the opposite of 2004, when Solich left Callahan a lot of work to do in a short amount of time. Also, have you ever seen Ganz play to know that he isn't a D-1 Caliber player? Saying he sucks would almost be the same thing as tabbing a recruit an All American before he ever touches the field, which you have stated many times that you detest. This class may not be with all the fanfare of last year's, however, a 3.27 avg. rating per player is still better than Solich ever did on his watch(except for the aformentioned 98 class, which was handed to him).

I don't know where you got that number for 02, but rivals lists an average rating of 2.95.

I dunno either :dumdum must have hit a wrong link, or I have beer googles on :cheers .

Also, have you ever seen Ganz play to know that he isn't a D-1 Caliber player?

Im not saying he sucks, but lets be honest, he wouldnt have started at UNO. Can you really see any of the last 3 (Davis, Ganz, Adams) qbs getting any significant playing time barring a serious injury??

I don't care what Pederson said, the meaning was that this staff is going to get the kids they want.

Whether they are a "big name" or not, I could care less. So could the staff. Screw a "big name".

If you really believe that, then I have some great oceanfront property to sell you in Cherry County. Real cheap too, its a steal :thumbs I guess that last years class with all the "big names" didnt mean much, huh? If this staff really got all they wanted, then guys like Palmer, Vardell, Greg Davis, Ausberry, Freeman, Deas, Cox, Eugene, etc, etc. etc, would never have been offered, and billy c would have been no better than FS.

Believe what? That "big names" are mainly a product of overhype? I can't know what you are trying to say with that.

Again, we can't agree on a solution if we don't agree on the problem. Nevermind. We might as well discuss whether soft tacos are better than hard tacos.

This looks like a decent class, we will have to depend on a LOT of Juco kids to really come through for this team to thrive and for he coaches to outperform the competition in developing our team's talent once they get to Lincoln.

Otherwise, 20 is OK, but it won't deliver us to the promised land. Unlike before under Osborn and Solich we aren't running a different system with specific needs that differ from what most teams were recruiting. What worries me is that we are now recruiting head to head with the top schools in Texas and California and Florida for essentially the players that they want. In other words, 20th when recruiting for the same players means that we are running the same sort of system with the 20th best players - not a situation that is likely to win a national title anytime soon.

The only other option is to develop our players better than the competition, and that remains to be seen with this coaching staff. or maybe the staff can build some momentum over time, but that puts the pressure on to start winning this season.

you are correct in what you are thinking, that is why the development of the stadium/practice/training facilities is so important......we have to show these kids we have the facilities and coaches that will help take them to the next level...we have no glitz or beaches to woo them with......we do have the best fans, a world class facility upgrade underway and hopefully some of the best college coaches in the land....patience, time will tell in the next 2-4 years as to how many top ranked kids we can attract..........

hunter

Already are 4 deep at RB, tons of WRs, quite a few LBs and DEs, yet more were brought in (some of questionable quality), yet still very thin at CB??

What is wrong with bringing Kenny Wilson in here? It doesn't hurt to have a lot of choices. Crap what if our RB spot is hit by injuries like the LB spot was this year? You always need someone else that can play. We brought in the 1 Juco LB. He has a redshirt year in there so maybe just maybe he was brought in to be Stu Bradley's replacement. As far as the DE's I believe the paper said Martin may add weight and move to the inside. Smith may move to OL after awhile and Allen might play TE. Also you are probably the ONLY person I've heard complain about bringing in the WR's we did. If you don't believe we needed to upgrade our WR corp then you are crazy. Mulkey and Peterson are nice players but there isn't a team gameplanning to stop them. Anyone that watched us could tell we needed a game changer at WR. The paper also stated that Thenarse, Young, Culburt, and West could play either Safety or CB so that would add depth to the THIN spot you talk about.

With Allens speed, he would be better off at DE. McNeil is one guy that I am pretty high on, but like i said IMMEDIATE need, and a true FR will likely not have that.

I thank the IMMEDIATE help we need at TE is going to be Heiran and Tomerlin. I could be wrong about that though. That would leave the three from this year to battle it out for the third spot.

Believe what? That "big names" are mainly a product of overhype? I can't know what you are trying to say with that.

Im saying that if you honestly believe that these are the recruits that this staff was going after, then :smokin . If that were true, then why were the guys previously mentioned offered??

We might as well discuss whether soft tacos are better than hard tacos.

Soft, gracias :cheers

What is wrong with bringing Kenny Wilson in here? It doesn't hurt to have a lot of choices. Crap what if our RB spot is hit by injuries like the LB spot was this year?

Nothing would be wrong with it, if you didnt have 4 other JRs and Soph RBs who are supposed to be highly talented. If they brought in a FR to RS, then I would be cool with it, but adding another JR just adds to the logjam.

Also you are probably the ONLY person I've heard complain about bringing in the WR's we did. If you don't believe we needed to upgrade our WR corp then you are crazy. Mulkey and Peterson are nice players but there isn't a team gameplanning to stop them. Anyone that watched us could tell we needed a game changer at WR.

Im not denying that, but Holt and his OG-like speed wont be a game changer. Purify might be wonderful, if he qualifies and if he turns out better than the majority of JUCOs (big ???). Henrys speed make him a decent prospect (best WR IMO), but if he was a really great player, I would assume other teams besides UTEP would have been in on him,

The paper also stated that Thenarse, Young, Culburt, and West could play either Safety or CB so that would add depth to the THIN spot you talk about.

And the last time a true FR made an impact on one of the safety positions (started) was......... <_<

Henrys speed make him a decent prospect (best WR IMO), but if he was a really great player, I would assume other teams besides UTEP would have been in on him,

FF have you heard Henry's story? There was a coaching change and complete change in philosophy from a running offense to a offense built around the passing game.

This happened from his jr. to his sr. year.

Rivals didn't get his tapes until just a couple weeks ago. I saw those tapes and your right. IMO he is young and needs some conditioning but Henry should be AWESOME before he leaves Lincoln.

Our coaches found him and got him to commit before word got out about him. That speaks volumes about how our coaches can recruit and evaluate talent .

They are ahead of almost every other staff usually offering the really good ones first. :thumbs

As with each year it is a wait and see crap shoot to see the cream rise to the top as each player endeavors to persevere to prove the proof is in the pudding. DAMN how many metaphors can one man use.

j/k

I believe BC when he mentioned that the staff identified what positions needed enhancement and tried to get the best available players for those spots. We can argue until August and still continue to debate which will be the right choice.

as always

GBR