Earlier signing day

I heard it mentioned on ESPN radio this morning that some coaches such as Charlie Weis of Notre Dame are calling for an earlier signing day. One posibility would be before the start of the senior season such as basketball does. It would be one way to cut down on the poaching and it would take some pressure off the kids. One caveat would be if the head coach that signed the player left then the player would be free to look elsewhere. Any thoughts.....

A lot of people think that is a good idea, to get rid of the psuedo-system of "commiting" right now. A month earlier might not be a bad idea.

Does anyone think it might limit the kid's options with less time?

I don't think so. The kids usually have offers well in advance of the current signing day anyway. The only caveat is it might make getting visits more of a big deal. Less weekends to do it in.

i don't know that the current recruiting system or any other new system that could be implemented would be any more desirable......."poaching" seems to be the new game in recruiting and the treachery seems here to stay......i sometimes wonder if the kids and the parents love to see their names in the press and the coverage/hype that they continually receive......i guess it "is all about me" ?

hunter

The kids usually have their offers made to them well before the signing day and then the recruiter will just call them to verify/confirm on signing day. There is no way to stop the poaching. It is the dirty game of recruiting and the kids just eat it up. I agree with you 100% Hunter that the families and kids love to see their name in the paper about some controversy of signing with a team and then backing out for some lame-a$$ excuse.