Riley, Nebraska, and Recruiting

Junior

I would simply offer this. I think it is unreasonable to expect the new coach to put together a staff over weekend by offering positions to people he probably doesn't know that well. What I would expect them to do is bring a few of his old staff along, ones that he is comfortable with either from a coaching standpoint are recruiting standpoint or both. I would expect him to make offers to a few select players that he has already recruited that he feels may fit at the new place and then quickly evaluate the current commits to see how they fit with what he wants to do. I would expect him then to spend part of the week recruiting until the dead period starts again prior to the bowls. At that point, I would expect him to reach out to other coaches that he would like to bring on board that have not been on his previous staff. I think it would be foolish for him to hire an assistant without having the opportunity to take a look at their body of work and interview them to see how they "fit." Hiring several assistants without adequately vetting them 1st seems like a recipe for disaster to me. My $0.02.

Great outline, and great points. Stick around!

Think of it this way....

If a recruit came to play for a coach, and said coach is gone - then the young man is going to re-think his commitment.

But if a player came to play for The University of Nebraska - then he's not going anywhere. Why try to convince a kid to be sold on you when he gave his support to the last guy who exactly the opposite of you? Isn't that a waste of everyone's time?

What if he replaced a couple of players with folks that were better than the recruits that Bo got?

If a recruit came to play for a coach, and said coach is gone - then the young man is going to re-think his commitment.

But if a player came to play for The University of Nebraska - then he's not going anywhere. Why try to convince a kid to be sold on you when he gave his support to the last guy who exactly the opposite of you? Isn't that a waste of everyone's time?

Except a number of these recruits are coming to play within a system that fits their particular skill set and gives them the best opportunity to be successful. That is a decision often independent of the school and/or coach. Some (see Michael Rose's comments on twitter) are going to benefit greatly from the change - as will plenty of recruits. Others might not fit as well. And that doesn't have to have anything to do w/ the coach or school.

Except a number of these recruits are coming to play within a system that fits their particular skill set and gives them the best opportunity to be successful. That is a decision often independent of the school and/or coach. Some (see Michael Rose's comments on twitter) are going to benefit greatly from the change - as will plenty of recruits. Others might not fit as well. And that doesn't have to have anything to do w/ the coach or school.

Where a player plays is just as important in a commitment to most recruits as is who he's playing for.

Don't underestimate the importance of name dropping when it comes to schools, just like coaches.

Besides - 247 states that Fischer and Ron Brown recruited him. If he was that eager to play for certain coaches, it'd be his position coach that would be more important than the head coach.