Riley, Nebraska, and Recruiting

Junior

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/national-recruiting-roots-already-strong-for-riley/article_523cf179-25fe-5974-8733-dc15393b7c61.html

But the theory is that just by switching polo shirts, Riley will have more access to a higher caliber of athlete. And then his strengths will be accentuated.

Nebraska spent the most money on football recruiting in the Big Ten in 2013 ($818,509) and in 2012 ($752,681), according to research by the Cedar Rapids Gazette. The Huskers’ budget was $478,554 in 2011, according to data compiled byESPN.com. Oregon State’s was $298,631 that year.

NU made more private planes available to its coaching staff in the last recruiting cycle — and that helped “tenfold,” assistant coach John Garrison told The World-Herald earlier this year.

Plus, there were staff additions. Brian Crist was hired as Nebraska’s director of player personnel. Former Husker Jake Wesch was recently named the program’s recruiting manager. Drew Soukup, a former intern, was promoted to a regional recruiting assistant position. Another former Husker, Kenny Wilhite, joined the staff as a regional recruiting assistant last spring as well.

“Resources are not the question here at Nebraska,” Eichorst said Sunday.

The same couldn’t be said at Oregon State, especially with Nike-powered Oregon as its next-door neighbor.

• Fire 1

Uh, did it translate into a bunch of bigtime recruits?

I think it must be far harder to recruit to the frozen tundra league than it was to tell the Texas guys they could go back south and show up the schools that snubbed them. I also don't see many of the guys in the upper midwest who are used to playing in snow having any allegiance or desire to come to Nebraska over the other BIG schools in their area....maybe Illinois because those schools kinda suck right now, but not the other clannish states.

Uh, did it translate into a bunch of bigtime recruits?

I think it must be far harder to recruit to the frozen tundra league than it was to tell the Texas guys they could go back south and show up the schools that snubbed them. I also don't see many of the guys in the upper midwest who are used to playing in snow having any allegiance or desire to come to Nebraska over the other BIG schools in their area....maybe Illinois because those schools kinda suck right now, but not the other clannish states.

Marginally so far. The core of our class is two Colorado kids, two Nebraska kids, and two Missouri kids. Not sure how increasing the private jet budget helped us dominate local states.

It certainly doesn't hurt, that's for sure. Combine that commitment with a salesmen (I'm looking at you Ed O) and we can actually convince those California kids to come here.

Unreal... We spent almost three times the amount on recruiting than OSU did last year

Helps when you're in the 5th best state for recruits and the longest trip to a big city within your state is a 2 hour drive. Pittsburgh is only 3 hours.

hes referring to the oregon st OSU. I think posting weiners in ghe skin forum has finally taken its toll.
  • Fire 1

So in the $800,000 rough dollars we spend on recruiting, was there not enough left over for Riley to make a phone call or two to the recruits we already had? Has he already given up any chance on them or has Harvey really clamped down on discretionary spending in the Athletic Dept.?

So in the $800,000 rough dollars we spend on recruiting, was there not enough left over for Riley to make a phone call or two to the recruits we already had? Has he already given up any chance on them or has Harvey really clamped down on discretionary spending in the Athletic Dept.?

Dude, you guys need to cool it a bit on the calling recruits thing. Dude just got announced and had a press day on Friday. He's probably assembling his staff before he starts contacting recruits. He'll want to be able to introduce their position coach. Doesn't really help re-assure a recruit when he asks "so who's my coach" and you tell him "Ummmm.......I'm not sure yet."

• Fire 3

I think that the new staff is going to find out that recruiting to Lincoln isn't easy. May be more difficult than what they're used to.

Recruiting to Corvallis is far more difficult when you take into consideration the town, facilities, fan support and other resources. Lincoln is going to be easier to recruit to.

• Fire 2

Dude, you guys need to cool it a bit on the calling recruits thing. Dude just got announced and had a press day on Friday. He's probably assembling his staff before he starts contacting recruits. He'll want to be able to introduce their position coach. Doesn't really help re-assure a recruit when he asks "so who's my coach" and you tell him "Ummmm.......I'm not sure yet."

When recruits start tweeting about not being contacted yet, its a problem. They've already flipped one of the OSU guys and offered another, but they don't have time to call our current commits? That's unacceptable.

"Hey Kendall, its Coach Riley, just wanted to call and reassure you that your scholarship here at Nebraska is still going to be honored. It has been a little hectic the last couple of days and Im still trying to get the staff assembled but as soon as I do, you will get a call from your position coach. I look forward to talking to you more in the coming days and weeks and I can't wait to meet you in person. Have a great day!"

Now how hard is that?

• Fire 4