Riley Picks Osborne's Brain

Mavric

He wasn't talking about his overall body of work, but more to the fact that he actually knows how to tailor an offense around what kind of talent he has. Something the previous staff did not do too well.

I understand. But the overblown credit Riley gets for his ability to utilize his personnel has not translated to the on the field success we are allegedly looking for at Nebraska. When does proper utilization of talent lead to 3-9 records?

Here's a constructive idea; Why don't you take a few months off of posting your negative bs and go on a private coaching search. You can find the best guy for the job, give a written report to Eichorst and everything. Since you apparently know so f'ing much, wouldn't this be the best way for you to help your team? Would have to be much more productive than be laboring the points you have been. Or maybe you could come to the realization that Nebraska is not Oregon State and that there are many more factors that contribute to on field results than only who the head coach is.

• Fire 3

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/slideshows/10-greatest-oregon-state-beavers-1967#10

A few of Mike Riley's best players listed there. There are plenty more, just a top ten in the history of Oregon St. here.

I got a feeling TheSker that you would gladly give Bo Pelini and staff credit for Taylor Martinez, Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell or even Pierson El's early success last season and obviously Ndamukong Suh, Jared Crick, and plenty more in our history with Bo at HC. I don't think you'd hesitate a bit to point out those guys.

So you'd damn well oughta be willing to acknowledge those players who were highly successful under Mike Riley. Mike Riley....ya know? The new HC at Nebraska. I think that part hasn't sunk in for you yet.

James Rodgers - OSU All purpose yards Record Holder

Jacquizz Rodgers- 3 time all conference former PaC 10 Offensive player of the year

Mike Hass - (former walk-on) Biletnikoff Award winner- multiple record holder

Jordan Poyer- played 13 games as a freshman - Consensu All- American

Stephen Paea- all-American - PaC 10 defensive player of the year- Morris Trophy winner (best defensive linemen voted by offensive linemen)

Steven Jackson- Single season rushing record first year as starter- 2,015 all purpose in 2003 2nd all time school history former 1st round draft pick

Those are the best of the best from Mike Riley's time there but there are many more. QB's, RB's, and WR's scattered through out his list. When his RB talent was strong, he was able to utilize it. When WR talent was top notch, he utilized it.

Again, when you learn to look at the game of football as more than just a W or an L, I think the game would begin to mean more for you. I can't see the point of even watching just to see a W or an L. You can tune in to ESPn and watch the little score stram at the bottom for that, or check the scores at the end of the day. There's a lot more going on out there.

You also seem to forget that there are other teams working just as hard as you are to be great. During Riley's time at Oregon St, schools like USC, Oregon, UClA, and Arizona St. have been pretty strong too. Yet, Riley was still able to put some valiant efforts together against them and even pull off some wins.

Remember, all this at Oregon St. He's the Nebraska HC now. Your reluctance to give the Nebraska HC even a legitimate chance is baffling.

• Fire 1

If you look at the change rationally and logically it makes sense. Getting information and looking at things not from an emotional or negative standpoint everything will work out for the best. Both Beck and Pelini are in great situations to further themselves.

IMO, Riley and the Huskers mesh. let's be honest, standards have not been present at Nebraska for over a decade. Husker fans are concerned about what works and Some of Riley's formations, plays, tools, and creative flexibility remind of those times.

Needless to say, we seen the resumes and accomplishments and I bet the caliber of instruction is off the charts. Theses are NFL guys. Those qbs are very fortunate to be here at this time and to learn new stuff. He'll the qb coach taught E Manning last year.

IMO, it not going to get easier. OSU is scary with Meyer and his use of deception . In addition , You dam we'll know Michigan and PSU are not going down without a fight either. we're in the same boat as they are.

the big ten is no joke! Riley and the Huskers have to get hungry. Riley wanting the same will create the sense of emergency and instill that hunger.

Man it February and I'm stoked. This sucks.

• Fire 1

It's safe to say this might be the only time these two meet for lunch. Doesn't sound like much brain picking transpired, but at least Riley got the OWH to document that Osborne finally took a meeting with him.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-tom-osborne-discusses-mike-riley-meeting-playoff-committee-teammates/article_e0478266-c1fb-11e4-96dc-3b840f92e273.html

You had a chance to sit down with Mike Riley. How much of that conversation was football and how much was it just learning more about Nebraska from a guy who knows it well?

We just had lunch. Most of it was just casual conversation. He had a few questions about the Blackshirt tradition, the way it was done previously. Also had a few questions about recruiting areas, and he asked something about weather patterns, because obviously if you’re here in Nebraska you are going to hit some days where it’s a little bit windy and a little bit cold, some days that it may be snowing or raining, so he asked about that, too. But there was not a whole lot of specific talk about football. Actually, I was surprised it was reported in the paper because I thought it was just a personal conversation between us, but I guess somehow it got in the paper. But anyway, it was a nice conversation.

Do you think the expectations here at Nebraska are very reasonable in your opinion?

I don’t know what reasonable is. It’s a trade-off. Obviously there is a lot of passion surrounding football. Here we’ve had over 50 years of consecutive sellouts, and with that kind of interest and that kind of passion, inevitably there are going to be some pretty high expectations. So you take the good with the bad, and there is no question that expectations are high. ... A .500 season is not good in the eyes of most fans, and unfortunately a 9-3 or a 10-4 season at times are not perceived as very good. However, having looked at a lot of football this last year, examined a lot of schedules and looked at a lot of teams, you have to realize that in the last seven years we’ve won either nine or 10 games per year, and I think there are only three or four schools in the country that have been that successful over that period of time. So you have to say that the bar is raised pretty high and expectations are pretty high. Under Bo Pelini, we didn’t win a national championship or a conference championship, and so often the focus is on what you haven’t done. I heard that for 21 years — “Well, you haven’t won a national championship” — then we did win some. But the focus is so often on what you have not done. I’m not sure we didn’t maybe win one against Texas a few years ago when they put a second back on the clock. That’s about as close as you can come without winning one. Then we almost beat Oklahoma a few years ago, too. So I guess you take the good with the bad, but there’s pretty high expectations.