Oline positions

I was wondering what some of you think about the Wagner's idea for having the olinemen learn differant positions. I think that if you recognize your best lineman at each position, two deep, have them stay at that one position and practice there instead of always moving around they will become beter players. It just makes sense that the more they practice at one position the better they will become. Keep in mind that I make a ton of money each year off my knowledge of football, so you can take this with a grain of salt. I just don't know if I am in favor of all these guys trying to learn so many positions. Learn one, stay there and become the best player you can.

Keep in mind that I make a ton of money each year off my knowledge of football, so you can take this with a grain of salt.

:xcuse

Now, I don't get paid lots of money each year for my football knowledge, but I would think that a lack of quality depth and injuries would lead coach to have the best players learn the multiple positions so that he can insert them where he needs them. From my understanding, most line coaches have some of the players learn multiple positions for this reason, to get the best lineman on the field protecting the quarterback.

The real problem with your approach is the injury factor. Christianson was a starter for the Fall last year, when he was sidelined with a shoulder injury. Austin is going to be moved to backup center from his guard spot in the spring. He has a permanent knee problem, limiting him to about 85%. Murtha was injured much of last year, giving Patrick the start. Seppo last year had some injury problem and Mann has undergone surgery keeping him out of the Spring Fling.

Also, when a player blossoms or comes along who can start, then the player he replaces needs to be able to move to a new postion. For example, Haines, a JC, is going to start in the spring, probably at right tackle That means the Clauson is moving to guard. If Clauson had prior work at that position, of course, the trasition would be much smoother. Nicks is another case in point. He will challenge for a starting position and perhaps also knock someone from one position to another.

So, the result of experience at more than one postion may actually help the team win games, due to the above circumstances. I think if everyone stayed healthy with no new callengers, your approach would have an advantage.

With scholarship limitations, you simply can't carry enough "good" lineman to be able to effectively run a two-deep with each player "assigned" to only one position. While I would love to see just that, the realities of today's college football work against it.

Yup, I agree. Even at the NFL level a lot of players have to learn multiple positions unless they are obvious starters.

Look at Russ Hochstein, he played center this year for the Patriots because of injuries but has played most of his career at guard. It is like this for a lot of back ups. Looking at the depth chart there are a few people who are obviously at a certain position like Murtha (tackle) but most are able to move around.

ps - I think it is a great idea that they are moving Slauson to a guard, to me he just looks like a guard and I think there is a little more potential depth at the tackle spots for someone else to move into those spots.

Also..... not all the players are learning multiple positions. Patrick is playing left tackle only. Austin is now at center only. Mann is at center only. Guards are honestly interchangable anyways. The only ones that are really flipping alot are Murtha, Haines, and possibly Nicks when he comes in, and that may be because they havent really locked down a position yet.