"Functional mobility" in Quarterbacks

This is an NFL article, but I think the discussion of quarterbacking and mobility are applicable, since we're all wondering what kind of direction Riley is going to take the Huskers offense.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/14/functionally-mobile-quarterbacks-aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-drew-brees

To me, this has always been the goal. You want a quarterback who has good pocket presence and can truly move the pocket. If your guy runs a 4.4 but isn't effective moving the pocket because he can't make decisions or throw well on the run, then what's the point?

I'm not sure that any of the three QBs currently fighting for the job fit this description (or at least, Armstrong doesn't seem to), but some of the QBs we are recruiting definitely seem to. The current commit, Terry Wilson (see RECRUITING THREAD), he's an athletic guy who moves the pocket constantly but doesn't really put up rushing numbers because he's always looking downfield. That's a good base of experience to work with.

Also think we're too often caught up in 40 times and dual threat tags. How many of these high school recruits are truly "statues" anymore? Even ones who can't beat anyone in a footrace, that doesn't mean they can't move the pocket. What makes a difference there is smart feet & good awareness -- once you sense and evade the rush, you're moving across empty field and running a 4.5 or a 5.5 won't make a lick of difference in the time you take to find an open receiver and get him the ball.

In summary, I want the best pocket quarterback we can get. Running ability totally secondary, but eluding rushers and quick feet are a must.

• Fire 2

This is a good post and it seems we are recruiting quarterbacks that can do this. I think the staff will start Tommy because they haven't had a dual threat before, but they will need to develop him to throw on the move instead of tuck and run in panic situations. We will see how they develop him, these younger quarterbacks and the ones to come, but yes it would be great to have the qb be pass first. I trust Riley and his staff to put the best qb on the field and be able to recruit great qbs to Nebraska that can pass first and have the ability to scramble for first downs as well as escape from pressure.