Shorter practice times?

In season, players are limited to 20 hours per week of athletically related activities (and no more than 4 hours per day) during the season. Athletic related activity is basically anything involving direction from a coach (including strength and conditioning coach). Game day counts as 3 hours no matter how long it actually takes. So that leaves 17 hours for football related activities for the other 5 days of the week (there must be at least one off day per week). I'm assuming at least a couple of hours per week watching film and position group meetings, and 3 or 4 for strength and conditioning. That leaves 10 hours per week for actual practices. So 90 minutes per day, five days per week seems about right.

I'm more interested in how there could have ever been 3 hours practices five days a week and still had time for lifting weights, watching film and position group meetings....

I'm more interested in how there could have ever been 3 hours practices five days a week and still had time for lifting weights, watching film and position group meetings....

Well, if it only counts when a coach is actually present, they could be given a workout to do on their own. :dunno

An important thing to remember when teaching something. People tend to remember the first thing an last thing you tell them the most. So...a common way of training is to have more short sessions. That gives you more of the "first" and "last" things that they will remember the most.

I'm not a big fan of extremely long practices or any type of training sessions. So, I view this as a good thing.

An important thing. . . . a good thing.

Well, if it only counts when a coach is actually present, they could be given a workout to do on their own. :dunno

Yeah, probably. And that could also be the reason we've had so many injuries the last several years. Not saying anything about motivation of the players, but there is no doubt that working out under the direction of a strength and conditioning coach is going to be far more effective than just leaving a player to do it on his own.

Yeah, probably. And that could also be the reason we've had so many injuries the last several years. Not saying anything about motivation of the players, but there is no doubt that working out under the direction of a strength and conditioning coach is going to be far more effective than just leaving a player to do it on his own.

This exactly. While other teams are able to maintain down the stretch, we faded off. We consistently looked sluggish while other teams were still in stride (Wisconsin comes to mind).