Harbaugh's NCAA violations

NUance

Michigan's head coach Jim Harbaugh faces NCAA violations

Here's a video outlining them from cbssports.com: LINK The gist is:

• One of Michigan's assistant's spoke to the media about a grad transfer from Stanford before the guy was on Michigan's roster
  • He signed a helmet for a buddy's charity. Turns out the charity started a scholarship fund in the name of a highschool kid who committed suicide. I guess it's an ncaa violation to fund a high school scholarship like that.
  • Took a recruit to a hockey game and sat in a booster's high dollar box seats.
  • Tweeting images of recruits photoshopped onto the cover of SI or other sports magazines.

Harbaugh has been on the job four months. Has four ncaa violations. You go girl!

In all fairness, all four are secondary ncaa violations. And Michigan self-reported them. The first two seem like bone-headed mistakes. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from Michigan. (tOSU would disagree with this.) But the last two seem like calculated efforts to push the envelope in recruiting.

• One of Michigan's assistant's spoke to the media about a grad transfer from Stanford before the guy was on Michigan's roster
  • He signed a helmet for a buddy's charity. Turns out the charity started a scholarship fund in the name of a highschool kid who committed suicide. I guess it's an ncaa violation to fund a high school scholarship like that.
  • Tweeting images of recruits photoshopped onto the cover of SI or other sports magazines.

Harbaugh has been on the job four months. Has four ncaa violations. You go girl!

In all fairness, all four are secondary ncaa violations. And Michigan self-reported them. The first two seem like bone-headed mistakes. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from Michigan. (tOSU would disagree with this.) But the last two seem like calculated efforts to push the envelope in recruiting.

re: the fourth one. I did graphic design for our AD in college, and would routinely make posters like this for recruits on their official visits. We never tweeted them out, we never even told anyone about them, we just had them in the locker rooms for them. We looked over the rule books over and over and over and could never figure out if it was a violation or not.

re: the fourth one. I did graphic design for our AD in college, and would routinely make posters like this for recruits on their official visits. We never tweeted them out, we never even told anyone about them, we just had them in the locker rooms for them. We looked over the rule books over and over and over and could never figure out if it was a violation or not.

I might not have gotten the entire significance of it when I was listening to the video. It didn't seem like a big deal. But I guess that's why every major FBS program needs a compliance officer to figure out some of these dumb rules. :dunno