Charlie McBride Speaks out

CM: When I came there they rattled my cage for about ten years. It wasn’t exactly a honeymoon. Nine wins were fine, but it still wasn’t good enough. We’d win a game and we might not do well on defense and that would be like losing. I think any time there is change in a program you can expect a little storm. Look what’s going on with Davis, the basketball coach at Indiana. It’s the same old thing. Bring back Bobby Knight, Bring back Tom Osborne, Bring back Solich. The more you complain about something the more the program is going to be beat down. So in essence all the negative feelings are going to tear the program down by continually discrediting Bill and Steve Pederson and all these people. Instead of saying, hey what’s done is done, let’s get going. This is Nebraska and let’s storm ‘em. Negative talk really affects the players. I think that has a lot to do with how they play. All the guys that I know that played for Billy at Oakland think the world of him. He got caught up in a situation with some older players in the pros who weren’t getting to play enough; they weren’t catching the ball enough. They were the guys that were the vocal ones. Players like John Parella and Adam Treu and some of the guys that were at Oakland loved him. They thought the world of him. That’s just how pro ball goes. I think fans have to swallow some things once in a while and as bad as people had become because of what happened it’s one of those things where you have to say “it happened, and am I a Nebraska fan or not? Or am I going to sit here and moan and groan for 2-3 years and then get rid of this coach and then get another one and he won’t be good enough.” Look at Oklahoma. They were getting head coaches in and out of there for a while. John Blake will tell you that. I personally believe that Billy is a better college coach than he is a pro coach. He has a great coaching personality and is a real worker. I was really disappointed in the way some people were so negative for a couple of years. I was back there and it really affected the players, and it affected some of the coaches. There’s no place for that stuff. I understand there’s passion in the game, but there’s no reason to verbally tear coaches down especially when they are with their family. That’s not Nebraska.

This was taken from a interview that huskerpedia had with McBride... It really makes you think about your actions as a fan. I was critical in private of Frank Solich for quite some times, but I never took it to a message board, or the media in general. I dont think that anybody is above criticism, but it needs to be constructive. It is time that we got behind our team and our university and let them know that we are going to do what it takes to get it done. They can count on my support for one, no matter who the athletic director is.

Everything his said is plausible. How many players don't surf the internet. Look at the amount of info that is generated each day by all the different web sites. The media also play a major role in both player and public perceptions. The players can read all the same sites the fans use. They watch the same tv channels. I hope things are starting to level off. Another successful season will soothe many people still upset about ALL the drastic changes.

Charlie has seen and experienced the ups and downs of college sports. More people should listen to what a man of his experience and reputation is saying.

CM: When I came there they rattled my cage for about ten years. It wasn’t exactly a honeymoon. Nine wins were fine, but it still wasn’t good enough. We’d win a game and we might not do well on defense and that would be like losing. I think any time there is change in a program you can expect a little storm. Look what’s going on with Davis, the basketball coach at Indiana. It’s the same old thing. Bring back Bobby Knight, Bring back Tom Osborne, Bring back Solich. The more you complain about something the more the program is going to be beat down. So in essence all the negative feelings are going to tear the program down by continually discrediting Bill and Steve Pederson and all these people. Instead of saying, hey what’s done is done, let’s get going. This is Nebraska and let’s storm ‘em. Negative talk really affects the players. I think that has a lot to do with how they play. All the guys that I know that played for Billy at Oakland think the world of him. He got caught up in a situation with some older players in the pros who weren’t getting to play enough; they weren’t catching the ball enough. They were the guys that were the vocal ones. Players like John Parella and Adam Treu and some of the guys that were at Oakland loved him. They thought the world of him. That’s just how pro ball goes. I think fans have to swallow some things once in a while and as bad as people had become because of what happened it’s one of those things where you have to say “it happened, and am I a Nebraska fan or not? Or am I going to sit here and moan and groan for 2-3 years and then get rid of this coach and then get another one and he won’t be good enough.” Look at Oklahoma. They were getting head coaches in and out of there for a while. John Blake will tell you that. I personally believe that Billy is a better college coach than he is a pro coach. He has a great coaching personality and is a real worker. I was really disappointed in the way some people were so negative for a couple of years. I was back there and it really affected the players, and it affected some of the coaches. There’s no place for that stuff. I understand there’s passion in the game, but there’s no reason to verbally tear coaches down especially when they are with their family. That’s not Nebraska.

This was taken from a interview that huskerpedia had with McBride... It really makes you think about your actions as a fan. I was critical in private of Frank Solich for quite some times, but I never took it to a message board, or the media in general. I dont think that anybody is above criticism, but it needs to be constructive. It is time that we got behind our team and our university and let them know that we are going to do what it takes to get it done. They can count on my support for one, no matter who the athletic director is.

Charlie's the guest speaker at the Californians For NEBRASKA founders day banquet on March 4th.

After reading C.M. interview I would say he hit it right on the head. I wasen't happy that F.S. couldn't keep it going, as I grew up watching him play and he was Husker family. When B.C. was hired all I wanted for him was to get this program going again. I think all true Husker fans want the same thing. I think it will be a tough year to to get nine wins this year and it might be eight again, either way this team is getting stronger with each recruiting class. This coaching staff has made a commitment to this program. I also think most of the fans do to. We seem to get pulled into debate that doesn't do anyone any good by a couple of posters who just want to stir up old wounds at the first sign of a game that we could of, should of our almost won. This just harms the program, IMO and we don't need it. I don't know if anyone sitting at their comp's who could do any better, I know I couldn't. It's fine to voice our feelings because we all care so much for this program, but calling for someones head for a loss is going a little bit over board. B.D. lost a couple of chances at the N/C before he got his and we all T.O. lost a few himself. These coaches deserve there time to see what they can also do. Looking forward to next season and beyond.

GBR!!!

P.S..It will be great to sit at the USC game with thousands of Husker fans.