Age and Experience

I'm a pretty simple fan, so I don't know how to research all the statistics and such, but I do have some questions about the role age and experience played in yesterday's game.

I know the TV announcers mentioned "freshman" or "redshirt freshman" several times referring to various players on our team yesterday. Also think I hear that Lewis has 13 starts, while the rest of the O-Line started had a collective 7 starts combined.

I'd really like to see a chart for each starting position, both the Huskers and BYU, with the following information, with the same positions for each team listed side by side, or perhaps opposing positions.

Age, year in the program (True fresh, soph,, etc), height and weight.

Do all BYU players have to be of the faith? If not, how many of them are? How many of their starters did the two year mission commitment before joining the team? Two years, at that age, can add a lot of general maturity to a kid. Might be a telling point if their players averaged two or so years older per player, in addition to being more experienced (ie...Juniors vs redshirt freshman).

Also, a side question my daughter asked and I didn't have an answer. Does the term "redshirt" just apply to Husker players that sit out a year, or is "redshirt" a universal term for all programs?

I'm a pretty simple fan, so I don't know how to research all the statistics and such, but I do have some questions about the role age and experience played in yesterday's game.

I know the TV announcers mentioned "freshman" or "redshirt freshman" several times referring to various players on our team yesterday. Also think I hear that Lewis has 13 starts, while the rest of the O-Line started had a collective 7 starts combined.

I'd really like to see a chart for each starting position, both the Huskers and BYU, with the following information, with the same positions for each team listed side by side, or perhaps opposing positions.

Age, year in the program (True fresh, soph,, etc), height and weight.

Do all BYU players have to be of the faith? If not, how many of them are? How many of their starters did the two year mission commitment before joining the team? Two years, at that age, can add a lot of general maturity to a kid. Might be a telling point if their players averaged two or so years older per player, in addition to being more experienced (ie...Juniors vs redshirt freshman).

Also, a side question my daughter asked and I didn't have an answer. Does the term "redshirt" just apply to Husker players that sit out a year, or is "redshirt" a universal term for all programs?

To answer your questions broadly, BYU had quite a few players that were quite a bit older. Maybe someone else can give you the position by position analysis.

Redshirt is a universal term.

Nebraska started the trend, which is where the name came from, but it's universal now.

I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of BYU players go on mission. A lot of their guys are 23-26.