Professor Aaron Semm's analysis post-Southern Miss...

Some better detail on Red zone offense comments:

I think it was a confluence of factors, ... I don't think we'll see that perfect storm happen again.

The first drive that stalled out, we throw a swing screen to Mr. Newby that has to net more yards than it did, and then on 3rd down you go to Westercamp right at the sticks, and he blew that too, instead of getting north and south. I thought I was watching Soul Train with all the dancing that was going on instead of maximizing what's there for ya.

Then we come back to the next tight field goal was the result of the desire to "get cute" and try to throw the reverse throwback pass to the Quarterback. Didn't like that call.

Next go-around on 3rd down we're running some crossers underneath and it looked like Stanley Morgan was going to get wide open, but for some reason instead of pushing up in the pocket Tommy kind of bailed out and didn't help his Tackles out, so that sack is probably on him.

Then at the end of the game when we were trying to close things out, (people were lamenting our clock management, and why did we snap the ball so early, etc.), so we finally stay in the huddle till there was 5 seconds to go, so then the guys hurry to get set, and Westercamp started in motion.

so there is one poor call in there, but otherwise I think those are things that shouldn't always happen..... I think those are things that can get cleaned up.

• Fire 1

I too hope Wilbon or one of the other guys can figure out what they need to do to get on the field. I brought up in a couple other threads in the last few days one particular play of Newby's that is a microcosm of the running game's problems. He had pretty good blocking on one outside zone play and ran up behind either a tackle or tight end engaged in a block. Instead of cutting up field, where there was a hole, or going outside, where there was open room to run, he stutter stepped and ended up getting tackled for no gain.

The strange thing about Newby is he puts together good runs of 6-7 yards. His averages are something to be happy about. But, he really seems to struggle to find that next gear where he'll turn a 5 yard run into a gain of 10-15 or more. Or, there will be runs where he could've earned 4-7 yards but doesn't commit and gets hit for a minimal gain.

Defensive Secondary comments:

Scheme or lack of talent?

A little of both..... I think Sipple wrote an article cautioning people to look at the talent, and blaming the previous regime, and I think he makes a valid point there, and don't construe this (Semm's comments) as somebody pointing the finger at people that are not here anymore, but those guys on the back end were recruited to play in a completely different style of defense, so asking them to play "on an island" out there is quite a bit different, so your'e seeing some issues there.... In pure passing situations, instead of sticking with man-free or quarters, maybe mix it up a little bit, and give those corners some help over the top.

I wanted to speak to that. People have been gnashing their teeth about the 447 yards through the air. If you go back and look at that game, what did they hit, 2 or 3 deep balls? That's 2 or 3 too many, but by the same token, it wasn't like they just threw the ball vertical and abused our corners all day. I'm gonna give you some facts to back that up:

On the first long pass play of the game that was a slant route that Chris Jones just got a little too far over the top of. He was trying to defend the pass, and get over the top of it, but then he overran the tackle, resulting in yards after contact.

Then late in the game Southern Miss ran that little throwback crack screen for the second time in the game. And he got Nate out there trying to make a play on a guy in space. He whiffed. That results in something that looks like backyard football. 40-yards after contact there. And then he gave up 40 yards at the end of the game.

So on those two seam throws right there, that's 130 of their 447. So I just want to caution people. Again, it is a pattern. We all know that the secondary hasn't been great, but those four plays right there account for 130 yards. Maybe if they end the game with 340 maybe people aren't as panicked.

I wanted to speak to that. People have been gnashing their teeth about the 447 yards through the air. If you go back and look at that game, what did they hit, 2 or 3 deep balls? That's 2 or 3 too many, but by the same token, it wasn't like they just threw the ball vertical and abused our corners all day. I'm gonna give you some facts to back that up:

I think they hit more than two or three. But that is misleading because they barely ATTEMPTED to throw deep until the fourth quarter. I counted three "deep" balls through the first three quarters. And I was using 10+ yards downfield as "deep" so it didn't even have to really stretch the field. The went completion, incompletion, defensive pass interference on those three. Then they threw down the field a lot more in the fourth quarter and they were torching us.

Linebacker comments:

First of all, the guy wearing #3. He's a pretty good player, isn't he? Why that guy couldn't get on the field, .... I mean he's the guy we saw on film as a High School player. He looked pretty good.

Weber did some good things. Probably the one glaring mistake he made resulted in their touchdown run. When he kind of mis fit his gap, and they got vertical on us. Other than that, I thought the run D was outstanding.

Dedrick (bless his heart for being a true freshman) he's playing what seems like almost every snap of the game, and he got exposed a little bit there on some wheel routes and some circle routes. Southern Miss did a good job, ... they would get his responsibility almost into a stack behind the outside receiver, and he was kind of damned if he did, damned if he didn't. If he'd play over the top they'd run the circle or arrow route underneath. If he tried to play it underneath, they'd run the wheel route up the sideline. So that's probably a good example of structurally something the staff does need to look at mixing it up, in certain situations getting him off the field, going dime, those sorts of things.

That linebacker corps, that was thin to begin with, has been snakebitten by injuries. It'll sure be nice when we can get some of those guys back on the field.

I think they hit more than two or three. But that is misleading because they barely ATTEMPTED to throw deep until the fourth quarter. I counted three "deep" balls through the first three quarters. And I was using 10+ yards downfield as "deep" so it didn't even have to really stretch the field. The went completion, incompletion, defensive pass interference on those three. Then they threw down the field a lot more in the fourth quarter and they were torching us.

I agree that he seems to be fudging the numbers a little. Later he says its 130 yards on 4 plays. I am surprised how optimistic he still is about the secondary. At least he gives a few suggestions about how to fix the scheme, like mixing up coverages, giving some help over the top, running some dime coverage due to linebacker depth. etc.