What Did We Learn - Wisconsin

Mavric

Here's what Riley had to say about looking for the ball. Honestly, I've never been one who makes a big deal of looking for the ball. As Riley hints at, your just as likely to lose your coverage as you are to find the ball. So stick with the coverage and try to bat the ball when the receiver reaches for it.

At least in how we're playing it. I'd rather not have so many guys running with our backs to the QB but that's apparently how Banker wants it.

"I've learned a lot coaching defensive backs early on in my career," he said. "I had two guys in Winnipeg, one of them was an older veteran, and one of them was a veteran. And the rookie was long, kind of a linear guy. He loved to press and then play into the hands of the receiver. And the older guy played off, he had a good sense of the quarterback and the receiver, great vision, been playing a long time, totally different how they played the deep ball.

"But really in general, the way you have to play it, is if you are in good shape on a receiver, we call it being in phase with him, basically being on the high shoulder. And you're in good shape, then you can look back for the ball. If he's ahead of you, and he's beating you off the line of scrimmage, there's no sense in looking back, because you look back, you're going to lose speed and he's running full speed. So you've got to gain ground. And that's where you find guys playing into them. And that's where you get in trouble. First of all, they're not in great shape, they're trying to recover to a position.

"If they look back, the ball's not being thrown to them. That's what I always tell them. It's being thrown to the other guy, so you better get to him before you look back for the ball. So you've got to be in good shape before you look back for the ball in general."

LJS

What that tells me is that we have a dire need for faster CBs. Guys who are in good position downfield and can afford to glance back for the ball.

that's all well and good, but in college it is very rare that a deep ball hits a receiver in stride. Wisconsin threw comeback routes/stop routes that are entirely based on timing. You'd think a good jam on the line would throw that off to where at least the quarterback would have to double clutch or work through the progression to another receiver. But 10 yards of cushion is probably a good way too...

• Fire 1

that's all well and good, but in college it is very rare that a deep ball hits a receiver in stride. Wisconsin threw comeback routes/stop routes that are entirely based on timing. You'd think a good jam on the line would throw that off to where at least the quarterback would have to double clutch or work through the progression to another receiver. But 10 yards of cushion is probably a good way too...

This. We aren't getting beat over the top on tons of deep passes. We're getting beat because of bad gaps in coverage, or DB's not being near receivers.

This. We aren't getting beat over the top on tons of deep passes. We're getting beat because of bad gaps in coverage, or DB's not being near receivers.

They're asking gerry and cockerell to cover rather than patrol. Our dime/nickel package is almost non existent which would free a safety up for patrol purposes. Plus taking the prior staffs man coverage and telling these guys to play more zone is taking a long time to adapt. Our cover 2 is real weak right now