Dead Money Deals

That list makes no sense. The Angels are paying Josh Hamilton $68 million and he's #2 on the list. The Magic are paying Gilbert Arenas $62 million, and he's #3. The Irish are paying Charlie Weis $19 million, and he's #1? What?

Nevermind the fact that nearly every fired coach in college football has a years-long buyout, so this "top 20" could have been entirely populated by these guys alone. I don't get why Weis, Will Muschamp & Pelini are on the list but no other fired college coach is.

Weird story.

I think he was going for the outliers. More 'cat who ate the canary' than 'crap, got fired. now what?'

Weis was collecting from two schools at once while working a third position.

Muschamp got the full amount from Florida and another job as the highest paid coordinator in the country.

Pelini gets the full amount and didn't even take another job at a non power 5 school. He went all the way down to YSU so no help with the salary offset. Could be seen as playing the system. I'm not sure Pelini should have been on the list but ESPN does know how to produce the clickbait.