Dead Money Deals

16. Bo Pelini, Nebraska, $6.5 million

College coaches have been benefiting for years from the idea they always need to have five years left on their contracts to let recruits know they aren't going anywhere. With that in mind, Nebraska added another year to Pelini's deal after 2013 to extend his contract through February 2019, but the Cornhuskers had almost no mitigation if they chose to fire him. When they fired Pelini a year later, they owed him $7.9 million, and he was hired by Youngstown State. Thanks to the common provision that reduces a buyout by the salary of any other job a coach takes while a buyout is being paid, Nebraska's dead money figure comes out to about $6.5 million.

#16. Woo hoo! We're in the top 20 again! :lol:

That list makes no sense. The Angels are paying Josh Hamilton $68 million and he's #2 on the list. The Magic are paying Gilbert Arenas $62 million, and he's #3. The Irish are paying Charlie Weis $19 million, and he's #1? What?

Nevermind the fact that nearly every fired coach in college football has a years-long buyout, so this "top 20" could have been entirely populated by these guys alone. I don't get why Weis, Will Muschamp & Pelini are on the list but no other fired college coach is.

Weird story.

That list makes no sense. The Angels are paying Josh Hamilton $68 million and he's #2 on the list. The Magic are paying Gilbert Arenas $62 million, and he's #3. The Irish are paying Charlie Weis $19 million, and he's #1? What?

Nevermind the fact that nearly every fired coach in college football has a years-long buyout, so this "top 20" could have been entirely populated by these guys alone. I don't get why Weis, Will Muschamp & Pelini are on the list but no other fired college coach is.

Weird story.

I can understand Weis at #1. Rovell said he based his rankings on size and significance. Sure the Arenas deals and Hamilton are huge, but those are professional teams they can handle that chunk of change. For a college to pay 19 million dollars for a guy not to coach is pretty significant, I can see why he ranked Weis first. For me though, the Bobby Bonilla deal takes the cake. Whoever worked out that contract for him is one smart guy

Weird story.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Doesn't really make sense. The only thing I could think of is that they're normalizing the amounts by the guy's contribution. For example, Notre Dame didn't get much value out of Charlie Weis for the $20 million of dead money they ended up paying him. Of all the guys listed, it seems like Nebraska got a pretty good deal with Pelini. Even though $5 million is a lot to pay out for a public university.

Yippee!!! I really hope this thread turns into another b*tch session about Bo's buyout and how the "taxpayers" are stuck paying his buyout even though the NU Athletic Department doesn't use State of Nebraska taxpayer funds at all.

This sucks for Joe Blow Taxpayer. How much more can the average guy take? Taxpayers paying off useless coaching contracts. This bites the big one.

How'd I do?

• Fire 2

Yippee!!! I really hope this thread turns into another b*tch session about Bo's buyout and how the "taxpayers" are stuck paying his buyout even though the NU Athletic Department doesn't use State of Nebraska taxpayer funds at all.

This sucks for Joe Blow Taxpayer. How much more can the average guy take? Taxpayers paying off useless coaching contracts. This bites the big one.

How'd I do?

Pretty good work. I would have thrown in a comment about that Bo is taking home more in one month from Nebraska than a lot Nebraskans do in 6 months.

you were the first to bring that stuff up. so thanks to you for turning it into that type of thread if it turns that way. lol

How'd I do?

Pretty good work. I would have thrown in a comment about that Bo is taking home more in one month from Nebraska than a lot Nebraskans do in 6 months.

Actually it's more than most get in 18 months but who's counting...

I thought at one time Weis was collecting buyout deals from BOTH Notre Dame and Kansas. But even if they both added up to the 100% of their potential, that is $24.6 million, not the 60 some million of the other deals.

Anyhow, a good way to make a living, if one can swing it. I would rather be a fired coach than a working one at that rate. :waste:smokin

...but I never did get too wrapped up in my job.