Misery Index

Pretty well written couple paragraphs.

Nothing wrong with publically admitting a bad hire and moving on. Rebuild now or rebuild in 3 years, which is better?

Exactly right. If you are pretty sure Riley is just not going to be successful here--and you'd have to be dumb or blind not to be---it makes sense to pull the trigger now than sweeping it under the run for the next couple of years.

• Fire 2

A problem with firing Riley now, If I understand the buyouts correctly, is we are paying Bo $150,000/month and Riley's buyout would be $170,000/month. Paying $320,000/month (3.8 million/yr) for people to not coach here doesn't leave a lot of money for a new coach

Not completely directed at you, but for the love of God:

FIRING ANYONE IS NOT A FINANCIAL DECISION. WE HAVE TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

• Fire 2

A problem with firing Riley now, If I understand the buyouts correctly, is we are paying Bo $150,000/month and Riley's buyout would be $170,000/month. Paying $320,000/month (3.8 million/yr) for people to not coach here doesn't leave a lot of money for a new coach

You're kidding yourself if you think this isn't primarily a financial decision. Assuming there is money available, this isn't how they want to spend it. But they have to weigh the savings of not firing vs. the loss of revenue if the downward spiral continues. Loss of donor support, ticket sales, merchandise sales, bowl and TV revenue--those are all the factors they are considering. W-L record, championships, and school pride are important primarily to the extent they affect the money coming in.

Maybe you can show me in the athletic budget where there is an category for "future contract buy-outs". I doubt there is one. If they decide to fire Riley they will have to shift money around and probably count on booster support. TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS goes away pretty fast when you pay many millions to multiple former coaches. There's not an endless supply of money.

You're kidding yourself if you think this isn't primarily a financial decision. Assuming there is money available, this isn't how they want to spend it. But they have to weigh the savings of not firing vs. the loss of revenue if the downward spiral continues. Loss of donor support, ticket sales, merchandise sales, bowl and TV revenue--those are all the factors they are considering. W-L record, championships, and school pride are important primarily to the extent they affect the money coming in.

Maybe you can show me in the athletic budget where there is an category for "future contract buy-outs". I doubt there is one. If they decide to fire Riley they will have to shift money around and probably count on booster support. TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS goes away pretty fast when you pay many millions to multiple former coaches. There's not an endless supply of money.

I am going to look around and find it, but I know there was an interview with Osborne where he said they put away millions every year into the athletic contingency fund.

Former Athletic Director Tom Osborne said in 2010 that about $15 million was deposited in the reserve fund each year from ticket premiums and that the accrued stockpile allowed the athletic department to cover budget shortfalls and buyouts.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/nu-athletics-keeps-millions-of-dollars-in-reserve-to-pay/article_99ea07ec-c468-5143-a30d-86053d140417.html

edit: found the article

HOWEVER, you are right. It is, ultimately, a financial decision. I know that. You also know what I meant by my comment...

I am going to look around and find it, but I know there was an interview with Osborne where he said they put away millions every year into the athletic contingency fund.

Former Athletic Director Tom Osborne said in 2010 that about $15 million was deposited in the reserve fund each year from ticket premiums and that the accrued stockpile allowed the athletic department to cover budget shortfalls and buyouts.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/nu-athletics-keeps-millions-of-dollars-in-reserve-to-pay/article_99ea07ec-c468-5143-a30d-86053d140417.html

edit: found the article

HOWEVER, you are right. It is, ultimately, a financial decision. I know that. You also know what I meant by my comment...

That's eye opening. Thanks for finding it. What it doesn't say is how much of that fund they use to cover short falls or other major expenses like the stadium renovation so we don't know how much is really there.

Let's do some math. $15M for the last 6 years is $90M if we were able to put that aside every year. If. We're still only getting a partial cut from the BIg 10.

Take out $12M for buyouts to Pelini and staff. $25M for the expansion. $7M for the B12 exit penalty. $44M for those 3 alone.

$46M left. How much for other overruns? Did the $4.5M to academics come from here, and was that every year, potentially $27M?

We don't know any of the other numbers, but the $15M Osborne quoted is a good indication, and I doubt there were too many multi million expenses so maybe the money really is there.

The expert quoted was surprised we handled the Pelini buyout so easily, but he doesn't know our number either. I'd guess he has a better feel than you or I, and to absorb another slightly bigger buyout probably would make us flinch. Maybe a little, maybe a lot.

Still, you've convinced me that the money is there. I was wrong. There, I said it. But I still say it's not a bottomless pit. Maybe we can do this again, but the next hire damn well better work out.

I'm also concerned about the notion going around (not pointing at you) that we just throw whatever money it takes to get the coach we want. For one thing, it's no guarantee. Charlie Strong looked like the Herman or Fuente a couple years ago, and Texas threw the big money to bring him in and they are worse off. And this is after trying to throw even more money at Saban and failing, and I really doubt our money pit is as big as Texas'. There's about a dozen or so schools that will be doing the same thing. So just how much money do you really want to spend? And what if we get a Charlie Strong or Dan Hawkins instead of an Urban Meyer, Nick Saban or Tom Osborne?