B10 vs SEC or B12 or ACC or PAC12

ScottyIce

What obstacles stand in our way of doing something similar to basketball with the ACC/B10 Challenge? Where one week/saturday, all schools from those two conferences match-up?

I'd love to do something like that with any conference mentioned except for the ACC. How awesome would this be?

Week 2 2016

Nebraska vs Missouri

Wisconsin vs Georgia

Michigan State vs Miss. State

Ohio State vs Alabama

Michigan vs Florida

Iowa vs LSU

Purdue vs South Carolina

Rutgers vs Kentucky

Illinois vs Vanderbilt

Indiana vs Arkansas

Maryland vs Tennesee

Penn State vs Texas A&M

Northwestern vs Auburn

Minnesota vs Ole Miss

Play a home and away and then flip opponents each year.

You can no longer make the excuse that you don't want to play too good of opponents and risk losing a game, especially early. The Committee has made it clear, wins and losses don't answer all questions. All that matters is win your conference with a decent enough record and you should be fine.

This would be awesome.

Actually, from media reports that have had access to the information the committee receives the past few years, the committee is still picking primarily on wins and losses. No strength of schedule information is made available, nor is the most useful primary stat to predicting future games in an alternate possession sport: margin of victory. Furthermore, and why I've always been against the playoff, is the amount of useful data one can generate with so few teams playing one another is too small. This solution would tighten the data points between the conferences in question but at the cost of eliminating data points for all other conferences.

More significantly, the logistics of scheduling around this would be difficult. The basketball season is much longer, and a basketball home game is worth much less financially than a home football game. Basketball coaches have also gotten good at scheduling around the committee's metrics, such as the RPI (which works poorly in a short season sport). For those kinds of metrics, you're best scheduling a lot of middle teams. You don't get enough credit beating top teams to justify the risk, and you get killed playing the lower teams.

This was in place but fell through. Big Ten had a deal with the Pac-12 a little while back.

I was going to mention this.It may have made the Maryland and Rutgers expansion happen sooner. I think USC, Stanford and the PAC12 9-game schedule killed it.

And if it happens...I want the PAC12 as a partner.

• 2 weeks later...

Based off of record pre thanksgiving weekend.

Alabama vs Iowa

Florida vs Michigan State

Ole Miss vs Ohio State

Texas A&M vs Michigan

Georgia vs Northwestern

Mississippi State vs Wisconsin

LSU vs Penn State

Tennessee vs Nebraska

Arkansas vs Illinois

Auburn vs Minnesota

Kentucky vs Indiana

Missouri vs Rutgers

Vanderbilt vs Purdue

South Carolina vs Maryland

Based off of record pre thanksgiving weekend.

Alabama vs Iowa

Florida vs Michigan State

Ole Miss vs Ohio State

Texas A&M vs Michigan

Georgia vs Northwestern

Mississippi State vs Wisconsin

LSU vs Penn State

Tennessee vs Nebraska

Arkansas vs Illinois

Auburn vs Minnesota

Kentucky vs Indiana

Missouri vs Rutgers

Vanderbilt vs Purdue

South Carolina vs Maryland

If it ever happened, I'd like to see it be for a two year series, or at least make sure it goes home/away every other year. Id love to draw Bama for O'Briens senior year. Would include @Colorado and then OSU, Wisky and Iowa at home that year as well... Assuming he doesn't RS.

Would be really cool, if you ask me.