The last time Nebraska beat a top 10 team

For the record, here's a list of ranked teams we've beat over the last 14 years per where they finished ranked at the end of the season:

#6 Oklahoma 2001

#10 Oklahoma State 2010

#18 Missouri 2010

#10 Michigan State 2011

#16 Northwestern 2012

#24 Michigan 2012

I am shocked that Bo only had two top 10 wins. Hopefully Riley can tie him when we play Iowa in two weeks.

Those are final rankings. Riley will only tie him (this year) if Iowa and MSU both end up in the top 10.

With the schedule Iowa has played this year, there's no way they end up in the top 10 with a loss unless they do something special against a quality team in a bowl game.

If they finish with 1 loss, to us, they will be top 10, because that means they won the Big 10 and the Rose Bowl. I find that scenario very unlikely though.

Both Iowa and MSU in the top 10 is very unlikely because they both can't win out, and I don't think the 2 loss team gets in the top 10.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the teams rank at the time of the game is the standard way to look at the "beating a ranked team" or "beating a top ten team" stat.

Now if you are talking SOS (strength of schedule) or evaluating a team for a poll or playoff entrance, then you would look at the opponents final rank. We won't have to worry about that this year.