huggins to ksu

Huggins Named K-State Basketball Coach

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.db...0&ATCLID=250323

Huggins Named K-State Basketball Coach

Courtesy: Kansas State University

Release: 03/23/2006

Courtesy: Kansas State University

Bob Huggins has been one of the nation's most successful coaches during his career.

MANHATTAN, Kan. - Kansas State will introduce Bob Huggins as its 21st head men's basketball coach at a news conference in Bramlage Coliseum on Thursday, March 23, at 4 p.m., Athletics Director Tim Weiser has announced.

Weiser also announced that the news conference would be open to the public.

In addition, Kansas State will provide a free live video stream of the news conference via its premium mulitmedia subscription services, Powercat Passport.

Huggins, 52, is widely regarded as one of the nation's premiere coaching talents and has compiled a 567-199 (.740) record in his 24 seasons as a head coach.

Huggins' coaching resume includes stints at Walsh College (1980-83), Akron (1984-89) and Cincinnati (1989-2005). He ranks eighth in both winning percentage and total victories among active Division I head coaches and has led team to postseason play in 21 of his 24 seasons, including 15 NCAA Tournament appearances.

Huggins current streak of 14 consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament ranks as the third-longest among active coaches in the nation.

During his career, Huggins' teams have won 20 or more games in all but four of his 24 campaigns, including 30 or more twice, for an average of 23.5 victories a season.

A 1977 graduate of West Virginia University, Huggins played for the Mountaineers from 1975-77. As a senior and tri-captain, he helped lead WVU to an 18-11 overall record and a tie for the Eastern Collegiate Basketball League (ECBL) Western Division title. In addition to helping the team earn their highest win total in nine seasons, Huggins paced the squad with a 3.8 assists per game average.

Huggins was born in Morgantown, W.Va., on Sept. 21, 1953. He and his wife, June, have two daughters, Jenna Leigh (23) and Jacqueline (20).

It will be interesting to see how this years players react to the change in coaching styles. Everyone loved Wooly, but Huggins isn't so Huggy if you don't play the way he wants. For instance, Lance Harris isn't consistant and he will either step up next year or get kicked to the curb. The exciting thing is the players he will recruit. The kids from Ohio :woo

My goal for the team next year is the NIT

You have to start some where

I have seen K-State win at home to the Huskers in Football, but I have never seen us Beat the chickhawks at home in basketball. Actually they have never one against them in Bramlage.

Big 12 next year:

Northern Iowa coach, McDermot, (spelling) is going to Iowa St can his team finish the season?

Mizzou ? Coach????? I hope they get gonorrhea and die a slow horrible death

KU just have them play a team that starts with the letter B in the first round of the Tourney

NU coach is in question among fans...was Danny Nee a better fit?

Colorado in same spot as Nebraska with coach, the next step is always next year

OU had the players not the heart, great coach top team every year

Texas there team is like there football team, always underachieving (except this year?)

OkSt bring back Big Country

Baylor will a non-conference help?...evidently MU and KSU were there big wins and that proved to be not that big of deal when you look at how good they were at the end of the year.

Texas A&M new coach...new attitude, will the rest of the conference stand up to this approach and regain national attention as a power conference...will A&M be able to repeat there performance the gave this year and repeat to the Dance?

Texas Tech...can't count out Bob Knight any year, but has he sold his soul to reality TV and the great Auto-Parts store in the sky? This is my most anticipated match up of next year. A winable game for K-State and two coaches that are just as much fun to watch as the game itself.

He's a good one. I must admit I'm pretty jealous that they've got him and we don't. I thought all along that we should have fired Collier and tried to bring Huggins to Lincoln.

I don't think he'll make K-State a power. A legendary coach came to this conference and settled in Lubbock, and he has done relatively little in his stay. I'm not too worried about Huggins in Manhattan. :thumbs

Huggins is expected to pull in the top recruit in the nation next year!

If Huggins is able to make the Wildcats into a top 10 program, a lot of that will depend on whether or not he can land the cream of the class of 2007 in North Hill High (Ohio) players O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, who have expressed interest in following Huggins in two seasons.

Not too shabby for the Purple Kitties if he can pull it off!