Safety Starters and depth

I assumed Benard that you would be head over heals for these two safeties. I mean they are both Nebraska kids. With family ties to the program and to kick it all off they are Got Frank recruits. I figured you would have nothing but praise for them.

they may be frank the tank's recruits, but they are playing for callahan so i guess that means they suck.

With Solid Safeties Leaving, NU Looks To Fill Ladership Roles

By JOE BONGE / Daily Nebraskan

March 30, 2006

Bill Busch is all about maximizing the roster.

The Nebraska safeties coach isn't one to lament the fact that both of his starting safeties from last year are gone.

He's not even going to mope about not having a safety that's ever started a game at the position, either.

He just wants everyone to fit in, and he's confident they will.

``The biggest thing right now is we have to maximize our roster,'' Busch said. ``Every safety, everyone we have has to find a special niche somewhere.''

Without Daniel Bullocks and Blake Tiedtke, last year's starters at strong and free safety, respectively, the Cornhuskers are faced with the tough task of replacing them with individuals possessing relatively little experience.

Junior strong safety Tierre Green, who played cornerback last year, joins senior Andrew Shanle as the frontrunners at the positions.

Behind Green and Shanle are walk-ons Brandon Rigoni and Ben Eisenhart, who have both seen significant time on special teams, but have little game experience.

But Busch isn't worried about the situation at safety and said the key to spring practice is finding who does what the best.

``We have to be able to get something out of everybody,'' Busch said. ``That's one of our goals for the spring is to maximize our roster.''

Shanle is the only safety that has seen significant playing time in the secondary. Last season, the St. Edward native had 10 tackles and one pass break up while backing up Tiedtke.

In 2004, he had 19 tackles on special teams and in the secondary while seeing time backing up Josh Bullocks.

Despite their inexperience, Shanle said he and the other safeties are ready to step up.

``Losing Daniel and Blake was tough because you're losing friends and leaders,'' Shanle said. ``But we know what we're doing. We learned from them last year.''

After losing Bullocks and Tiedtke, two of the leading tacklers for Nebraska last season, Busch didn't panic. He took his returning players directly to the film room to study their predecessors.

Bullocks, who is now headed for the NFL, was a three-year starter in the Nebraska secondary.

In 2005, he was second on the team with 83 tackles, including 46 solo stops. He also led the team in interceptions in 2004 with five, but had just one last year.

Tiedtke tacked on another 68 tackles last year.

Busch said studying the play of Bullocks and Tiedtke has been the best influence on the inexperienced safeties.

``We have such a great baseline because we had such great teaching from our safeties from last year,'' Busch said. ``It's really carried over into these guys, getting some great film work and having opportunities to maximize their abilities.''

The Huskers also will gain valuable depth at safety in the fall when 2006 recruits Ricky Thenarse and Andre Jones arrive at camp.

But the thing Nebraska will miss the most is leadership.

Shanle said he will have a leadership role to fulfill.

``This is the time for anyone to emerge as the starter,'' Shanle said. ``We just have each others' backs. I want to see everyone start. We're not just looking out for ourselves.''

And for guys like Rigoni and Eisenhart, spring practice could be the gateway to more playing time at safety next season.

The two combined for 27 tackles last season, mainly on special teams.

Eisenhart said both of the spots are up for grabs.

``I think it's open to everybody,'' Eisenhart said. ``I think everybody's doing a good job, and it's pretty much just wide open.''