Odd Job Interview Situation

So, I interviewed for a job with a public agency. I had worked extensively with this agency during my masters work so I have quite a few connections and a good reputation. I know of all the other candidates through other sources. Only 4 did an in person interview, including me. The interview went well. I've got experience with a couple questions asked that the others do not.

Evidently they called my current boss a couple days after the interview (I assume gave a good reference based on our conversation). Talking to my other references that was the only one they called. I had a friend who also interviewed and as far as we know my boss is the only reference thats been called. They were supposed to have a decision made last week, but my inside source said they're still waiting on a few details. I'm wondering if I'm there top choice and the extra time is because I'd be an external hire. I found it odd though that they'd only call one reference, however my other references work closely with the hiring supervisor so further reference checks may not be needed.

I've been on the other side of a few of these hiring processes, and this one seemed odd to me.

Just a guess...but it is the holidays and things really slow down with the hiring process...it is probably all "done" and you are getting the job but it will probably just be delayed..

I did an interview with 6 people once...questions being thrown at me from all over...got the job...turned it down...big mistake by me