Spring Position Battles - Receivers and Tight Ends

Mavric

First guy mentioned by Langsdorf today when asked about players who may surprise Saturday:

Be on the lookout for 6-foot-5 receiver Bryan Reimers, out of Lincoln East. The sophomore's caught the attention of the coaching staff this spring. He was banged up for a couple practices. But he's made an impression when he's been out there. Said Langsdorf: "He looked great (Thursday)."

OWH

Anyone remember a Husker TE named Johnny Mitchell. How does Cethan Carter compare to him?

Johnny Mitchell was a genuine star as a receiving TE and decent blocker. To compare them at this point would be unfair as Carter is nowhere near the playmaker (yet) of a Mitchell. Mitchell was likely the best receiving TE ever as a Husker. He had real speed and soft hands and great size. He had the speed of an average WR lining up at the TE position. I don't recall exactly his roster listed size but my recollection is about 6'5 and 255 (probably like about 6'7 and 270 in today's bigger size players generally). We may have had a couple guys listed as TEs who were straight line faster but none really compared in my view as a receiver. He was an average blocker and many a Husker TE in Osborne era were tougher blockers.

It's have always thought that our best tight ends were Mitchellooking and Junior Miller. Junior was just a beast!

If I am remembering correctly, I believe it was Junior Miller who may have gone out for mens BB one season or something. If it was him, I recall he WAS a beast, looking like a taller, bigger Arnold Swartzenegger out there. It was almost comical at times watching him on the BB court out muscling everybody. Yes, he was a beast blocking and a darn good receiver. We didn't throw much but he was all conference and maybe all american TE and that is saying something when you win that at Nebraska and we threw relatively little as a team comparatively.