Amy Williams New WBB Coach

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/18/11432944/amy-williams-nebraska-eliminates-shortcuts

Nice article written recently by one of Amy's USD players. Kind of shows the relationships and respect she garners from her players. Also talks about the coaching transition when Amy first got to USD. Some unsolicited support NOT generated by Nebraska's marketing department (for all you conspiracy theorists)

• Fire 1

Highlights from the article:

I still remember when Coach Williams first came into our locker room to introduce herself....

... saying we were going to put rings on our fingers and cut down nets, pretty "big" things to talk about, considering we were heading into the first year out of our transition period to Division I....

...From the first day of practice, in fact, the very first DRILL of practice -- the tone was set. I vividly remember our first drill -- Olympic Shooting....

... Coach Williams claims that she's had middle school teams get over 100 points, so of course, the Division I South Dakota Coyotes could surely best 100....We made it to 91....

...So you know what that meant? We ran eight down-and-backs... consider that was our first practice of the regular season. We were not even NEAR game-shape...everyone was struggling to stand by the last down-and-back. Let's not forget we had an entire practice to go after that drill.... we had to make each one in 11 seconds or under...If even one person didn't make the time, it didn't count....

Coach Williams isn't about shortcuts....Even our academic meetings at the beginning of each season revolved around that.

...After a tough loss to our rival, South Dakota State, in the Summit League Tournament, that ultimately resulted in us not going to the NCAA tournament, we took three days off of practice to refocus...The first drill of our first practice back was five-man weave/3 on 2/2 on 1.... Coach Williams stopped the drill.

"This looks like a team that wants to get knocked out in the first round!"

...From that point of practice on, we picked it up. Coach Williams, by simply not letting us take shortcuts in the very first drill of post-season, sparked a fire that carried us through to holding up the WNIT championship trophy....

....Coach is extremely loyal to the people in her life. It was a sad day in Vermillion when everyone found out the news, simply because she's had such a positive impact on this close-knit community.... In living a life of doing things the right way -- the Williams way, Coach Dub has earned herself the perfect opportunity...one of those opportunities you just can't pass up.

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found this:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/cincore-elects-to-stay-at-nebraska/article_0f3aaddc-faab-5ee5-b8d7-e2db460e6d6e.html

After meeting with Williams and Nebraskas new coaching staff, Cincore decided to remain a Husker.

I love Nebraska, and I think this is the best place for me, Cincore said in a prepared statement. I think Coach Williams has a good plan for the direction of the program. I think the new coaching staff has some quality people who can help me grow both on and off the court."

Hope Williams is able to do the same with Romeo.

• Fire 1

Sounds like Romeo is out, just deciding where. Pac12 most likely. If the lockerroom is broken, maybe staying just wasn't an option. Who knows. I have confidence Coach Williams will be able to bring them back together.

Also, I heard a rumor that All-State Fremont standout Riley Cascio-Jensen might be switching her commitment from USD to Nebraska. Not sure if it is a schollie or walk-on. Big loss for the Yotes, but not a bad pickup for Nebraska (if true).