Huskers Focusing on Screen Plays This Spring

well, in this play he had a guy right up his ass, in his defense he had no chance to complete it, in fact it was a piss poor play to call deep in our end of the field.........

I agree that you don't call a screen deep in you own territory, but the idea of a screen is to let the rushers through, so that can't be used as an excuse, the QB has to deal with that.

the line did a great job letting the rushers through........TA could have handed that snap off to a couple Iowa guys as quick as throwing the screen.........i hope we aren't focusing too much on the screen this year, seen enough to last me for awhile....Jano up the middle just one time in this game would have been an improvemen

Lol I'm confused by what you're saying. So are you saying we should have blocked the defensive line on a "screen" play?

dude are you real? that guy that got through was on TA almost before he could line the laces up on the ball......he was flat out blitzed, screen play or any pass play was not going to happen, he could barely get rid of the ball......check your glasses homeboy! wow....

Screens work the best when teams blitz there "homeboy". If you wanna come over sometime I could teach you some football

well, in this play he had a guy right up his ass, in his defense he had no chance to complete it, in fact it was a piss poor play to call deep in our end of the field.........

I agree that you don't call a screen deep in you own territory, but the idea of a screen is to let the rushers through, so that can't be used as an excuse, the QB has to deal with that.

the line did a great job letting the rushers through........TA could have handed that snap off to a couple Iowa guys as quick as throwing the screen.........i hope we aren't focusing too much on the screen this year, seen enough to last me for awhile....Jano up the middle just one time in this game would have been an improvement.

Yeah, a draw play would've been a much safer call. But deep in one's own territory you basically have to calls straight forward, quick hitting plays that go north and south and hope for the best. If they don't work, punt. A screen play with a team that doesn't run screen plays effectively, with a QB who majorly struggles with any type of short pass, and windy conditions, against a very good, disciplined D, well, it's just asking for trouble and the end result was just that.

Yeah, a draw play would've been a much safer call. But deep in one's own territory you basically have to calls straight forward, quick hitting plays that go north and south and hope for the best. If they don't work, punt. A screen play with a team that doesn't run screen plays effectively, with a QB who majorly struggles with any type of short pass, and windy conditions, against a very good, disciplined D, well, it's just asking for trouble and the end result was just that.

2014-01-0111_40_21.gif

• Fire 1

the line did a great job letting the rushers through........TA could have handed that snap off to a couple Iowa guys as quick as throwing the screen.........i hope we aren't focusing too much on the screen this year, seen enough to last me for awhile....Jano up the middle just one time in this game would have been an improvement.

A draw play during a blitz is a god awful call. 3 yard loss at least.

• Fire 1

It's a bad play call for all the reasons I've sited and all the excuses you and others keep siting as to why it didn't work. Not to mention the end result: pick 6 for them. If ya hadn't noticed, the wind was howling in that game and TA was throwing potential picks about every time he air mailed a pass that day. But you go on defending the screen pick 6, go right ahead....

No it wasn't. It did start getting little windy after the sun set, but even then, it was a 10 yard throw, not a 40 yard bomb.

Source: I was there, a few rows back from the field.

Oh, ok, well, I guess it doesn't take much wind to TA to throw 4 INTs in a game--and he was close to throwing a few more.

It's a bad play call for all the reasons I've sited and all the excuses you and others keep siting as to why it didn't work. Not to mention the end result: pick 6 for them. If ya hadn't noticed, the wind was howling in that game and TA was throwing potential picks about every time he air mailed a pass that day. But you go on defending the screen pick 6, go right ahead....

No it wasn't. It did start getting little windy after the sun set, but even then, it was a 10 yard throw, not a 40 yard bomb.

Oh, ok, well, I guess it doesn't take much wind to TA to throw 4 INTs in a game--and he was close to throwing a few more.

Not every interception is on the Quarterback.

2014-01-0111_40_21.gif

Well, everyone knows that the deep ball, called on rare, unexpected occasions, can be effective. It is actually a safer call than a screen, since the blocking assignments are straighfoward. But it is the exception more than the rule. Bottom line, if you like TA throwing a screen or swing pass deep in his own territory, so be it, nobody's going to change your mind, evidently.

It wasn't a bad pass though! Look at the play develop. If Lewis cuts the end we had a touchdown possibly. We had 2 receivers on 1 corner and one would've chipped to the backer flowing and we had Jano against a corner. I like our chances

• Fire 1

A draw play during a blitz is a god awful call. 3 yard loss at least.

I'm not saying I would call a draw, just saying, since it was brought up, it's safer than a screen, as a 3 yd loss is preferable to a pick 6. But you know what, when you are coach, you can throw all the illadviased screens and fades you want with a suspect passing QB--more power to ya.

It wasn't a bad pass though! Look at the play develop. If Lewis cuts the end we had a touchdown possibly. We had 2 receivers on 1 corner and one would've chipped to the backer flowing and we had Jano against a corner. I like our chances

IF IF IF IF.......

Result, pick 6 for them.

Not every interception is on the Quarterback.

Most are, since, you know, he's the guy throwing it. If the play isn't there, the route isn't run properly, don't throw it, therein lies TA's main problem: he forces it too much. It's ok, when POB or Gebbia take the reins, things will be much better in the passing game.

IF IF IF IF.......

Result, pick 6 for them.

You should apply for a coaching job. You can run all of the iso's, full back dives, and draws you want because you want to "play it safe". Thats not how you win at this level. You woulda called Saban's pass call late in the national championship illadvised. You cant be conservative all the time or you give up 2 game winning field goal opportunities like Wisconsin.

• Fire 1