Huskers Focusing on Screen Plays This Spring

2 blitzers on NU's left.

Tommy decides to run the play as called with no adjustment and throws to primary target.

LG tries a roll and trip to get 2 guys but can't get the trip so that blitzer is free up the gut.

LT flops and does nothing good and his man makes the play. F'ing f... sh... err.

Tommy throws too flat. Should have floated it longer. Probable NU td had a nice throw been made.

TE opposite side was open immediately. Not sure why Tommy didn't simply hit him as a hot read easy play.

Time 59:28 for good endzone reply. (Setting to .25 speed helps. Spacebar and left arrow also helpful.)

What TE is open on that play?

• Fire 1

2 blitzers on NU's left.

Tommy decides to run the play as called with no adjustment and throws to primary target.

LG tries a roll and trip to get 2 guys but can't get the trip so that blitzer is free up the gut.

LT flops and does nothing good and his man makes the play. F'ing f... sh... err.

Tommy throws too flat. Should have floated it longer. Probable NU td had a nice throw been made.

TE opposite side was open immediately. Not sure why Tommy didn't simply hit him as a hot read easy play.

Time 59:28 for good endzone reply. (Setting to .25 speed helps. Spacebar and left arrow also helpful.)

Carter is wide open cutting toward the middle off the right side for an easy short pass.

2 blitzers on NU's left.

Carter is wide open cutting toward the middle off the right side for an easy short pass.

Can you not see that mlb running just in front of him?

Had Lewis made his block, the read was right. Blaming TA on the play is like blaming a QB for fumbling on a mesh play where the guard completely misses his block on a DT, allowing the DT an unfettered lane to cause the fumble.

• Fire 1

2 blitzers on NU's left.

Same reason he launched that fade route later in the game on 4th and 1, thus botching another potential scoring drive:

CU26QxsU8AAn2gf.png

Perfect example of why this offense is tough on QBs. TA made the right read but made the wrong throw on that fade.

In that system, he's coached that if you have a 1-1 coverage on your primary receiver, you make the throw.

This is fundamentally why I like the option. Your read is your read. You never have to ignore the right read in favor of a second or third read.

• Fire 1

2 blitzers on NU's left.

Can you not see that mlb running just in front of him?

Had Lewis made his block, the read was right. Blaming TA on the play is like blaming a QB for fumbling on a mesh play where the guard completely misses his block on a DT, allowing the DT an unfettered lane to cause the fumble.

The MLB is nowhere near him and he has his eyes on Newby out in the flat, nice try though. Like I said, if you think calling a screen/swing pass in heavy traffic on our own 10 yd line with TA throwing it and our OL blocking it, more power to ya. Me, I think it is the absolute worst call in that situation.

No where near him??? He's right in position to make a play on a ball that would require TA to shirt and throw back across the middle.

That's more risky, from a percentage perspective, then throwing a swing pass that was open but for the unexpected missed block.

He's fing 4 yds away from him and heading toward the "screen". Easy pitch and catch to Carter, though, no pitch and catch is necessarily easy when it comes to TA.

No where near him??? He's right in position to make a play on a ball that would require TA to shirt and throw back across the middle.

That's more risky, from a percentage perspective, then throwing a swing pass that was open but for the unexpected missed block.

dude open your eyes. The mlb is running away from Cethan. Debate all you want whether or not 4 yards is close, but either way he was NOT in position to make a play on the ball before Cethan would be able to make a catch had Tommy thrown it to him. Not saying that Tommy is in the wrong here for not throwing it to him since it's a screen and he realistically only has time to look at Newby, but your claims about the mlb are laughable.

No. They are about laughable. Look at the position his shoulders are in and the way he's looking (i.e., right at the QB, with his left shoulder back toward cethan). If Armstrong had checked back, he would have settled into his zone and been in a perfect position to make a play on carter coming across.

Anyway, the play was the play. I this system, the requirement is to make a certain drop, make a read and deliver it.

Armstrong made the correct read based on the numbers and who should have been blocked.

As I said, blaming Armstrong on that one is like blaming a QB fumbling during a mesh because a guard wiffed his assigned block on a DT.

• Fire 1
Unless you're a coach don't criticize play calling. You have no clue what they may have seen in the box. They are experts in the field. You wouldn't go try to tell a doctor he is diagnosing wrong.

Hindsight REALLY is 20/20. "Woulda Coulda, Shoulda" doesn't compare to what actually transpired.

When one sees a play that blows up and helps lose the game, anybody can successfully argue that the play blew up and helped lose the game, coach or not. Same with a doctor by the way. When the patient dies of appendicitis after a misdiagnosis of stomach flu, It okay to say, "Doc, you really blew that one big time, didn't you?" even if you aren't on staff at the Mayo Clinic.

Because those "experts in the field" (any field, not just coaching) really do suck at times.

No. They are about laughable. Look at the position his shoulders are in and the way he's looking (i.e., right at the QB, with his left shoulder back toward cethan). If Armstrong had checked back, he would have settled into his zone and been in a perfect position to make a play on carter coming across.

Anyway, the play was the play. I this system, the requirement is to make a certain drop, make a read and deliver it.

Armstrong made the correct read based on the numbers and who should have been blocked.

As I said, blaming Armstrong on that one is like blaming a QB fumbling during a mesh because a guard wiffed his assigned block on a DT.

I agree with what you say about Tommy and the play itself. Newby was where the play was designed to go so we're on the same page there.

In regards to the mlb, I understand the concept of his technique you described but I don't entirely agree. The player's shoulders were square, sure, which is what he's taught to do with staying with the quarterback and keeping square with a passing receiver that came through his zone. But in this case his hips were pointing parallel with the direction that Tommy was looking, making it so that he was running away from carter and would have made it difficult to change his hip direction, stop his direction of movement, and then get in the way of the passing lane in the amount of time Tommy could have adjusted to throw to carter (yes the other variables exist and Tommy wasn't throwing to carter whether he wanted to or not.)

We'll probably have to agree to disagree but I hope you can at least understand the point that I'm trying to make. I do apologize, though, because in my previous comment to you I felt that I came off too aggressive and was a little bit of a d**k.