Coaches get $$$

Husker football coordinators get pay hikes

By The Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 - 12:38:07 am CDT

Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan’s top assistants — defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove and offensive coordinator Jay Norvell — received 9 percent salary bumps in the offseason.

Cosgrove, who was courted by the Minnesota Vikings for an assistant’s position in January, and Norvell both went from $206,000 to $225,000 — a 9.2 percent increase. Both have contracts through Jan. 31, 2008.

“They’re doing a terrific job,” said NU athletic director Steve Pederson. “They have obviously high-profile positions with high expectations. We wanted to reward them.”

Said Callahan: “I think (the raises) are well-deserved. I think considering the landscape of college football, when you look at salaries in the Big 12 and across the country, there’s no doubt in my mind they’re deserving.”

Cosgrove and Norvell were part of a staff that led the Huskers to an 8-4 finish last season, including an Alamo Bowl victory. NU was 5-6 the previous year.

Cosgrove was offered more than $300,000 per year to join the Vikings as a linebackers coach.

“Financially, it wasn’t even close (to NU),” he told the Journal Star in February.

Bill Busch (safeties, special teams) received an increase from $140,000 to $150,000 — 7.1 percent.

Ted Gilmore (receivers) and Dennis Wagner (offensive line) were the other coaches to get raises after the season. Wagner went from $154,500 to $159,500; Gilmore from $130,000 to $135,000.

Staff newcomer Shawn Watson (tight ends, recruiting coordinator) was hired at a salary of $140,000. He replaced Scott Downing, who was making $124,228 before taking the head coaching job at Northern Colorado.

Other coaches, including Callahan, will be up for increases later in the year.

— John Mabry

Why?  I wouldn't give any of them pay raises until they can win the titles like they were brought here to do.

Well thank God you're not running things!

You think they should get raises after 5 and 8 wins? Some coaches get fired for 10 wins.

Name me a coach who got fired after winning 10 games?

Solich sure as hell didn't, he was fired after going 9-3.

Name me a coach that got fired after winning 10 games, please.

Why?  I wouldn't give any of them pay raises until they can win the titles like they were brought here to do.

Valid point, but pay raise is just coming through years put in. You work at certain places for 6months and you get a raise.

Exactly.

I don't know where you have worked, but most people do get a raise every year.

The coaches work hard. They deserve it.

Well thank God you're not running things!

You think they should get raises after 5 and 8 wins? Some coaches get fired for 10 wins.

Name me a coach who got fired after winning 10 games?

Solich sure as hell didn't, he was fired after going 9-3.

Name me a coach that got fired after winning 10 games, please.

Bo Pelini, Marvin Sanders, Barney Cotton, etc etc etc. Come here for one year and produce 10 wins and get fired. That is a joke.

Bo Pelini, Marvin Sanders, Barney Cotton, etc etc etc. Come here for one year and produce 10 wins and get fired. That is a joke.

Living in the past?

They may have improved their record, but they weren't bringing in the talent to succeed. There are very, very few Husker fans still out there that are ignorant enough to still not see and believe this. Now it is VERY obvious that the ship is sailing in the right direction. We are probably going to have our best season this year since 2001. We have talent again like TO used to bring in. Players have bought into this system and are excited to be Huskers again. Our talent level never should have dipped to what it was 3 years ago. That's Barney's, Bo's, Frank's, Marvin's, etc..fault.

Bo Pelini, Marvin Sanders, Barney Cotton, etc etc etc.  Come here for one year and produce 10 wins and get fired.  That is a joke.

Living in the past?

They may have improved their record, but they weren't bringing in the talent to succeed. There are very, very few Husker fans still out there that are ignorant enough to still not see and believe this. Now it is VERY obvious that the ship is sailing in the right direction. We are probably going to have our best season this year since 2001. We have talent again like TO used to bring in. Players have bought into this system and are excited to be Huskers again. Our talent level never should have dipped to what it was 3 years ago. That's Barney's, Bo's, Frank's, Marvin's, etc..fault.

YEP!!!

Bo Pelini, Marvin Sanders, Barney Cotton, etc etc etc.  Come here for one year and produce 10 wins and get fired.  That is a joke.

For the shortsighted, yes it is a joke. Their head coach was fired. The new staff didn't retain any of them. That's a bit different than being OMG FIRED!

It's Frank's fault those guys lost their jobs.

Is it 2004 again? I wish someone would tell me these things.

anyways like someone already pointed out, frank wasnt getting talent, thats why he was fired. he also wasnt a good coach in my opinion. i thank god everyday frank was fired. im also @#$%ing pumped we are finally heading in the right direction. players are excited, we have high school kids thinking NEBRASKA again. thank god.

The proof will be in the pudding....everyone knows coaching is a cut throat business. UNL needs to reward their coaches and have competitive, if not top-notch salaries. If they are paying the wrong people those salaries that is the Universitie's fault. I really feel these guys are on to something, but longevity and tradition need to be re-established.... :yeah Then we won't give a rat's ass what they are paid!

Longevity in the coaching staff is a luxury most schools don't enjoy. Any successful coach gets better offers whether for the NFL or a NCAA team willing to fork out the bigger bucks. The teams with tradition (like NU) hope to get and keep winning coaches because of the fan base, facilities, atmosphere and salaries. IMO Hopefully, our coaches will plateau at 9-10+ wins a year like it used to be. The staff works long hours in team practice, planning, recruiting and PR. Plus living in a fishbowl has it drawbacks also. More power to them to make wages they deserve.

GBR GBR GBR