Too many big plays still hurt D.

lo country

A good article on the causes of the big plays that continue to plague NU. Unsure the fix, but it definitely hurt us. The article uses Iowa as a glaring example. This little gem made me throw up a little. D didn't do too bad overall considering the stats in the paragraph...

But Nebraska’s defense dug itself a big hole, giving up three giant plays that led to a 20-3 Iowa halftime lead. Those three plays — a 77-yard pass and runs of 75 and 56 yards — accounted for 51 percent of the Hawkeyes’ yards. On the other 59 plays, Iowa gained 200 yards. On those three, it was 208 — and it was Nebraska down for the count.

Three plays for 208 yards.....another 59 plays only 200 yards........Not sure if any team, regardless of talent and coaching can win doing that as often as NU has.

Lest people say I am bagging on Riley, the problem is nothing new:

That’s an old story, too. Big-play busts have been a Big Red bugaboo since joining the Big Ten. Since the conference switch, NU has given up at least 20 plays of 30-plus yards each season. The Huskers are at 23 this season with the Music City Bowl still to go.

Bo brought in a D built to stop the spread of the Big XII, Banker has used what he had player wise, but also appears to still play a softer style than the rest of the B1G... I'd like to see us get to a more aggressive, physical D as an identity.

Rest of the article here:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/in-making-big-gains-husker-defense-also-allows-too-many/article_dd658a53-0de9-566b-acf3-4985a36785da.html

• Fire 1

More aggressive = more vulnerable to big plays...

Aggressive as in more physical. More push up front, better pass rush, press coverage etc..... I agree if we play with our ears pinned back, we are susceptible to draws, counters etc..... I just don't see our issues since joint the B1G as being caused from being too aggressive. IMO, we are too passive, too soft. I'd still rather see us make mistakes at 100 mph than the breakdowns we've seen and getting pushed around. Unsure if this is again the talent vs coaching vs scheme issue...