End of the Draft

Just wondering what everyone thought of their team's draft this year?

indianahusker PMed me asking what my thoughts on the Bronco's draft was and I was curious what everyone else thought about theirs. I'd especially like some Oakland and KC fan's opinions.

Here's mine, taken from the reply to the pm, so forgive the syntax.

First day was obviously great getting Cutler and Walker, of course. Second day was almost as good, Marshall was a total steal in the 4th and Hixon is a whole lot better than a bunch of players who were invited to the combine. Eslinger's basically Nalen 13 years ago and gets to learn under one of the best centers in the country.

Only pick I don't like is Dumerville, and that's only because we need someone to plug up the middle. I really like Elvis as an outside guy or even a Sam on the line, but that's not a need we had. Shanny seems to think that he'd be perfect to play a three-down nose gaurd, but I don't see how his speed and lack of size are going to help there.

Sheffler is prolly my favorite pick, though. That boy is just a beast. Longer, taller, and faster than Vernon Davis. The best natural hands of any TE in the draft, and unlike Putzier when we picked him up he actually has experience in the position. The best part is that he hasn't even come close to reaching his potential. He played baseball every year in college and that means he didn't work out in the off-season. He didn't lift. He's going to add another 20 pounds of muscle on what he's got, 10 at least before the first game. He's got to work on his blocking, but he's got time because we've still got Alexander and he's the best blocking TE we've had since House.

My team, the Green Bay Packers, sure got alot of bodies, but I am not sure if they got any impact players outside of Hawk, but I have heard great things about Jennings, who managed to make it into the second round despite playing for lowly Western Michigan, and with no other receivers and Favre throwing him the ball, he could pan out to be pretty good... I would have liked to see us pick up a legit receiving threat between the twenties at tight end though. Franks is good, but only as a situational and blocking TE, I want someone who can stretch the field a little.

My team, the Green Bay Packers, sure got alot of bodies, but I am not sure if they got any impact players outside of Hawk, but I have heard great things about Jennings, who managed to make it into the second round despite playing for lowly Western Michigan, and with no other receivers and Favre throwing him the ball, he could pan out to be pretty good... I would have liked to see us pick up a legit receiving threat between the twenties at tight end though. Franks is good, but only as a situational and blocking TE, I want someone who can stretch the field a little.

And may I thank you guys for Mr. Walker?

As for my chiefs didnt like it one bit. But that doenst

surprise me with King Carl in charge. What an a-hole.

The DE from penn st way to freaking slow. The only bright

spot I can see is picking up that QB from Alabama, let him

learn from Trent for one or 2 years.

But Herm Edwards has some fire which is what this team needed.

My ViQueens sucked at the draft. I give them a "F" on a cloudy day, "D" on a sunny. First, I'm not all that excited about Greenway at LB. I think that he is the prototype LB at the college level, but I don't think his skills will transfer well at the PRO level. Griffin as a 2nd rounder was a decent pick (their best...Greg Blue was a decent 6th round pick, too) and they needed depth at DB. Then....crap. Ryan Cook, a guard that the ViQueens are dubbing as a possible center, is a tub of lard. His fat around his belly reminds me of Exxon-Mobil CEO Lee Raymond's jowls. OMG...what we're they thinking. He wasn't even projected until the second day of the draft. Moreove, he is 6' 7". How many quarterbacks can see over a center that is 6' 7"! Many thought he wouldn't go until the 5th or 6th round. Then they trade 2 third round choices to nab Tarvaris Jackson, an unproven collegiate quarterback from Alabama State who hasn't displayed any accuracy. He wasn't projected until the 5th round by most experts yet the ViQueens feel compelled to trade 2 third rounders for a projected 5th rounder. Way to go...brain-trust! Ray Edwards (DE from Purdue) had some character issues. What is with the Vikings SAYING that they now want stand-up guys with good character drafting a player with character issues?? Doesn't make any sense. Aaaaaaargh! The ViQueens had enough draft picks to trade up for either Leinart or Cutler. They sat on their hands, made poor trades and poor choices in their picks. Heck...it's clouding over...I give them an F.

My ViQueens sucked at the draft. I give them a "F" on a cloudy day, "D" on a sunny. First, I'm not all that excited about Greenway at LB. I think that he is the prototype LB at the college level, but I don't think his skills will transfer well at the PRO level. Griffin as a 2nd rounder was a decent pick (their best...Greg Blue was a decent 6th round pick, too) and they needed depth at DB. Then....crap. Ryan Cook, a guard that the ViQueens are dubbing as a possible center, is a tub of lard. His fat around his belly reminds me of Exxon-Mobil CEO Lee Raymond's jowls. OMG...what we're they thinking. He wasn't even projected until the second day of the draft. Moreove, he is 6' 7". How many quarterbacks can see over a center that is 6' 7"! Many thought he wouldn't go until the 5th or 6th round. Then they trade 2 third round choices to nab Tarvaris Jackson, an unproven collegiate quarterback from Alabama State who hasn't displayed any accuracy. He wasn't projected until the 5th round by most experts yet the ViQueens feel compelled to trade 2 third rounders for a projected 5th rounder. Way to go...brain-trust! Ray Edwards (DE from Purdue) had some character issues. What is with the Vikings SAYING that they now want stand-up guys with good character drafting a player with character issues?? Doesn't make any sense. Aaaaaaargh! The ViQueens had enough draft picks to trade up for either Leinart or Cutler. They sat on their hands, made poor trades and poor choices in their picks. Heck...it's clouding over...I give them an F.

Man, that's rough. I hadn't heard anything at all about the Viks having a bad draft.

As for my chiefs didnt like it one bit. But that doenst

surprise me with King Carl in charge. What an a-hole.

The DE from penn st way to freaking slow. The only bright

spot I can see is picking up that QB from Alabama, let him

learn from Trent for one or 2 years.

But Herm Edwards has some fire which is what this team needed.

Another Chief fan here...didn't hate it as much as you did. First we got Tamba Hali DE, Penn State. Didn't really expect the Chiefs to pick him up, but Herm has been really up front about things and he very well may replace Hicks at that spot next year. Hicks might get traded or cut...Next is S Bernard Pollard from Purdue. I didn't know much about him before the draft, but I'm glad we got him...although I am not sure we had to get him in the 2nd round. This guy's nickname is "The Bonecrusher" and for good reason...I will post a couple videos at the bottom of him and the nickname "Bonecrusher" speaks for itself. Herm has talked a lot about Pollard getting a lot of play time early. Then there is Brodie Croyle of course. Finally got what could be the future for the Chiefs at QB. Marcus Maxey CB from Miami was our pick in the 4th...great size at 6-2 200 and is consistent. He will fight for a roster spot...6th round pick, G Tre Stallings Ole Miss. Don't know much about him. Linemen picked in the later rounds = depth/camp battles to make team...this next pick could be a steal in the 6th round...WR Jeff Webb from San Diego State. 6-2 200 with good speed. I actually watched him a lot this year and he completely picked teams apart. Senior stats are over 90 rec 1000+ yards and 10 tds...I remember watching him run circles around Michigan...but then again we did too right? ;) Last is S Jarrod Page UCLA...I have heard our Safety Jerome Woods may not be with the Chiefs next season so Pollard and Page were picks based on that probably...

Bernard Pollard - "Body Slam"

Bernard Pollard - Another Hit

Denver by far had the best. They got Cutler and Walker for next to nothing. I am sure Denver will be in the AFC Championship Game again in 2007.

You better hope Cutler turns into an NFL starter for them by then...who's going to lead them there? We all know Plummer won't pull out another fluke like that again! ;)

Broncos alo picked up a pretty good late round pick in DE Elvis Dumervil (sp?). He led Div I with 20 sacks last year...not too shabby even though we all know Carricker will top that this year...maybe

That is a bit of a stretch...20 sacks is insane!!! I will be happy with 10 or more...

QUOTE (Silent Commit @ May 2 2006, 01:39 PM)

Man, that's rough. I hadn't heard anything at all about the Viks having a bad draft.

Sure wouldn't mind to read what other ViQueen fans thought about their draft. Seems like most of the Huskerboard members are Chief or Bronco fans though. Needless to say....I was greatly disappointed in the ViQueen management decisions during the draft....I really feel that next year, the ViQueens will be cellar dwellers in the NFC central. Maybe next year, when they get an early draft pick because of their lousy record, they'll get better quality talent. But...I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE (Silent Commit @ May 2 2006, 01:39 PM)

Sure wouldn't mind to read what other ViQueen fans thought about their draft. Seems like most of the Huskerboard members are Chief or Bronco fans though. Needless to say....I was greatly disappointed in the ViQueen management decisions during the draft....I really feel that next year, the ViQueens will be cellar dwellers in the NFC central. Maybe next year, when they get an early draft pick because of their lousy record, they'll get better quality talent. But...I'm not holding my breath.

Found this on a Vikes message board:

http://mb30.scout.com/fvikingupdatefrm2.sh....topic&index=38

Thanks...pretty much what I was saying...ViQueens front office looked amatuerish. They reached way too much. I've been a Vikings fan all my life and I have never felt so unsatisfied with their draft selections as I am this year. I've blabbed too much on this topic. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent.

Thanks...pretty much what I was saying...ViQueens front office looked amatuerish. They reached way too much. I've been a Vikings fan all my life and I have never felt so unsatisfied with their draft selections as I am this year. I've blabbed too much on this topic. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent.

Hey man, that's what the week after the draft is for! :cheers