Lost Heisman Ring Found

Lost Heisman Ring Found

Omaha police searched an Omaha woman’s home Sunday, two weeks after she handed over a valuable ring to investigators.

The Heisman trophy ring belongs to former Husker football player Johnny Rodgers. He filed a police report six months ago, saying someone took the ring when he removed it at a grocery store to show it to a fan.

Kris Abbott said she found the ring in the parking lot of the Supersaver store at 51st and Ames Avenue back in November.

"I thought it was a regular high school ring," she told Newswatch 7. Abbott said she gave the ring to police when her brother saw it and explained its importance.

The gold ring features a Heisman trophy in the middle, surrounded by 16 to 18 diamonds. But police said those diamonds were missing when Abbott turned in the ring. Abbott said the ring had no diamonds when she found it.

She said she’s angry that police ransacked her home, when she was simply trying to return the lost ring to its owner. "I'm really upset. They come into my home, threaten me, and call me a liar."

On Sunday, police used a search warrant to comb through the woman’s home to look for the diamonds. They were not found.

Rodgers was awarded the Heisman trophy in 1972. It's awarded to the top college football player each year. Because the ring is so rare, it's considered priceless.

On Sunday night, Newswatch 7 contacted Johnny Rodgers, who was unaware that his ring was found. Rodgers said the diamonds were intact when he lost it, but he's happy to hear the ring was recovered.

She said she thought it was a regular high-school ring. It's definitely plausible. Just see it laying there, pick it up.. and think eh, doesn't look important.

Some dude probably took it, broke out the diamonds, and threw it in a parking lot. (it would be hella hard to sell a stolen heisman ring!!)

Now, hopefully someone with a few more bucks than I do will pay to have the diamonds replaced!

***SNIP***

Some dude probably took it, broke out the diamonds, and threw it in a parking lot. (it would be hella hard to sell a stolen heisman ring!!)

***SNIP***

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, she found it in the parking lot of the store in which it was stolen. That means that the person would have had to steal it, pry loose all 16 to 18 diamonds, and then drop it.

I find that to be implausible...

I would think that the thief would simply pocket it, leave, and pry the stones out at his leisure - and then toss the ring in the garbage.

Something's not adding up with her story...

***SNIP***

Some dude probably took it, broke out the diamonds, and threw it in a parking lot.  (it would be hella hard to sell a stolen heisman ring!!)

***SNIP***

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, she found it in the parking lot of the store in which it was stolen. That means that the person would have had to steal it, pry loose all 16 to 18 diamonds, and then drop it.

I find that to be implausible...

I would think that the thief would simply pocket it, leave, and pry the stones out at his leisure - and then toss the ring in the garbage.

Something's not adding up with her story...

If it is the case that it's the same store then you've got a good point. But the story doesn't say. The only details about where it was stolen originaly is "at a grocery store." While she found it at the " Supersaver store at 51st and Ames Avenue." So unless someone can find an article or anything about the original theft and it turns out it was stolen at the Supersaver at 51st and Ames I don't think it's very responsable to assume the womans guilt on that fact.

edit: Yup, same place. Her story is thin, to say the least.

If it is the case that it's the same store then you've got a good point. But the story doesn't say. The only details about where it was stolen originaly is "at a grocery store." While she found it at the " Supersaver store at 51st and Ames Avenue." So unless someone can find an article or anything about the original theft and it turns out it was stolen at the Supersaver at 51st and Ames I don't think it's very responsable to assume the womans guilt on that fact.

here you go:

Johnny Rodgers' missing 1972 Heisman Trophy ring has been recovered, but without its dozen or so diamonds.

A woman turned in the ring to Omaha police several weeks ago, ending a search that began Nov. 15 when Rodgers lost the ring at a grocery store.

Omaha police are looking for the diamonds, said Sgt. Teresa Negron. They searched the woman's home but did not find any of the diamonds.

Rodgers, the former University of Nebraska Heisman Trophy winner, removed his ring at the Super Saver grocery store, 5018 Ames Ave., to show a clerk. The ring slipped his mind while he bagged his groceries.

Someone behind him picked it up and left. The incident was caught on surveillance video.

The woman told investigators that she has had the ring for six months, Negron said.

Rodgers said today that he learned on Sunday that police had his ring.

He said he was surprised that police hadn't contacted him yet, and he called Police Chief Thomas Warren to learn more. Warren explained the circumstances, he said.

"It's long gone if it's all messed up," Rodgers said.

Two days after losing the ring, Rodgers' home was burglarized. He said he still has not recovered any of the memorabilia taken in that incident.

source