Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases

isn't technology great

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/28/fitness-tracking-app-gives-away-location-of-secret-us-army-bases?CMP=share_btn_tw

In locations like Afghanistan, Djibouti and Syria, the users of Strava seem to be almost exclusively foreign military personnel, meaning that bases stand out brightly. In Helmand province, Afghanistan, for instance, the locations of forward operating bases can be clearly seen, glowing white against the black map.

Some of the bases FOB's etc are a pretty big deal, although I suspect the locals are well aware of the US presence. I have seen "Yankee go home" painted on an overpass we went under frequently. As to the majority of the bases, their locations are not secret, and while interesting, the location of the tracks just doesnt seem that critical. There is not a necessarily a great concentration of personnel in those locations, so I am not certain the significance aside from the general opec/persec standpoint. I think better intel is found via TCN's and garbage dumps.

20 hours ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

Some of the bases FOB's etc are a pretty big deal, although I suspect the locals are well aware of the US presence. I have seen "Yankee go home" painted on an overpass we went under frequently. As to the majority of the bases, their locations are not secret, and while interesting, the location of the tracks just doesnt seem that critical. There is not a necessarily a great concentration of personnel in those locations, so I am not certain the significance aside from the general opec/persec standpoint. I think better intel is found via TCN's and garbage dumps.

I didn't realize you were deployed over there.  Thanks for doing what ever you did.

I have a question about this.  I understand your point about the bases aren't secret, so if this app shows that there are American troops there, it's not revealing anything special.

However, my question is, do troops make dang sure they take off these devices when they go on missions outside the base?  That seems to be a situation to me where this could be a major problem.

Just curious.

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I didn't realize you were deployed over there.  Thanks for doing what ever you did.

I have a question about this.  I understand your point about the bases aren't secret, so if this app shows that there are American troops there, it's not revealing anything special.

However, my question is, do troops make dang sure they take off these devices when they go on missions outside the base?  That seems to be a situation to me where this could be a major problem.

Just curious.

If they don’t, they will! And FWIW Americans stand out like a sore thumb in most places. I’ve been told it’s our demeanor, posture and other subtle cues. Personally, aside from dress and grooming I can’t tell till I talk to people. My wife might suggest I am not always the most perceptive!