The Term “White Privilege” is Racist

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Have you read the latest research on subconscious biases. Clearly not. The test and methodology are hopelessly flawed. It’s liberal BS masquerading as science. Just like global warming.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/3/7/14637626/implicit-association-test-racism

The fact that you are using Martin Luther King to defend your view the term white privilage is racist is all i need to know. 

The test being flawed does not equate to bias not being real. Global warming is real but its a real privilage you won't have to deal with the consequences, isn't it? 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Silencing white people and denying them the right to have opinions because they are white is the very definition of racism. 

Surely even the liberal wackadoos here have to understand that, right? I guess not. 

Whites aren't having their opinions suppressed? No one is silencing whites. Acknowledging that white people have things just a little bit easier because they are white isn't surpressing or silencing anyone

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Whites aren't having their opinions suppressed? No one is silencing whites. Acknowledging that white people have things just a little bit easier because they are white isn't surpressing or silencing anyone

Phrases like “white privilege” and “check your privilege” are used to argue that the opinions of white people are worth less than the opinions of others because they are white. 

That’s the definition of racism. The inability of the liberal wackadoos here to acknowledge that simple fact is evidence that liberals are ridiculous hypocrites when it comes to racism. But then we all knew that already. ;-)

• Plus1 1

If there's one thing that is VERY true about Ric Flair it's that he has been absolutely silenced on Huskerboard. He doesn't even possess his opinions, anymore, as I've taken them, and he is now a flaming liberal.

Sorry for doing this to you, but it's in my nature as a maniacal, conservative-eating tyrant.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Phrases like “white privilege” and “check your privilege” are used to argue that the opinions of white people are worth less than the opinions of others because they are white. 

That’s the definition of racism. The inability of the liberal wackadoos here to acknowledge that simple fact is evidence that liberals are ridiculous hypocrites when it comes to racism. But then we all knew that already. ;-)

Of course the other side is a bunch of hypocritcal wackadoos. It seems to be how everyone feels regardless of affiliation these days. I am as caught up in it as anyone. To me it seems your position is that you want everyone to care about you and people like you, but you don't want to care about anyone but yourself and those like you. If you can't understand how you, as a white person, are privilaged in this country and claim to be the victim of racism when someone tries to point that out to you, I'm not sure what else to say.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I want everyone to care about everyone. A person’s opinion doesn’t acquire more or less worth if that person is a certain color or gender.

I mean it really depends on what the opinion is about. If a white person wants to have an opinion about someone elses culture, their opinion may matter less than someone say from that culture.

Also you say you want everyone to care about everyone, including you, yet the two threads you decide to start are about how white people and men are really the victims in todays society.

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 2
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

I mean it really depends on what the opinion is about. If a white person wants to have an opinion about someone elses culture, their opinion may matter less than someone say from that culture.

I think the more problematic examples are when you talk about broader issues like racism, bigotry, etc. There are certain folks who think they can claim special victim status and then shout down anyone who disagrees or has a different viewpoint.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

People should be entitled to express their views regardless of their race or the color of their skin. And those views don’t carry any special weight based on the color of one’s skin.

This is a good thought; hold onto it.

• Plus1 1

I do actually think that the hyper focus on identity politics, and the unspoken loose cultural hierarchy model of how if you have __ victim/minority/oppressed points then your perspective is more legitimate to be listened to, is actually, to some degree, kind of contrary of King's vision of a better America. I of course understand and mostly agree with the perspectives that lead to such a thing, but I see so many people taking it further than is helpful for anyone.

The term white privilege isn't racist. But it's already pretty useless. It's a generalization that was very useful 4-6 years ago at the beginning of this era of renewed explicit discussions about inequality, but has kind of run it's course and is lacking in any sort nuance as a term.

• Plus1 3