Man, Woman, and Child: Lyell Bremser's Nicknames

Redux has been having some fun with the ****Official 2018 Season Countdown Thread****. He mostly posts pics of the more recent players. I've decided make a list of some of my favorite Husker greats and post them (Dave Remington and Joel Makovicka so far). As I was making the list, I can hear Lyell Bremser calling the games. I remember him calling Tony Davis the Tornado from Tecumseh, there was Johnny The Jet Rodgers, and Marvelous Jarvis Redwine.

What are some of more of these Bremerisms? "Man, Woman, and Child," was his signature catchphrase and he had a lot of nicknames for the players too. What are the ones you remember?

Is "Senior Junior Miller" a catchphrase or a nickname?

miller.jpg.9c6701a6d6e0528170c7d268a3baa73b.jpg

• Plus1 2

Here's some fun quotes from HuskerMax:

"Matt Wotel and Wayne Moorehead were out trying to cover Woody Cox and Johnny Rodgers...and that's like covering one boy scout troop with one pup tent! They just couldn't get the job done!"

"Man, woman and child! I wonder what that fellow was thinking of. Ray Ratockle must have thought he was following a piece of smoke, or somethin'! Johnny Rodgers made about thirty-eight moves on him! And then went outside of him and a Nebraska man went CLEAR over the top trying to make a block! It's at the 12....."

"All right, 2nd and 9 for Nebraska. They split men left and right. And Tagge pitches out over there to Orduna, WHO'S GONNA THROW! INTO THE END ZONE TO LITTLE GUY INGLES! TOUCHDOOWWNN!!!" (crowd roars)

(Lyell chuckles)

"OOhhh, pardon me for laughing! But that was just that funny! Ingles was SO alone. He could've have sat down, and knit one and pearled two! He just was ALL BY HIMSELF. And Orduna threw that ball like a falling leaf into that wind, and all Guy could do was just stand there and wait! It must've been an interminable wait. But it finally fell in his hands, but there was

NOBODY close!"

"AND, HO,HO,HO,HO,HO! OH MOTHER! DID HE FAKE THAT GUY OUT! AHHH, LET ME TELL YA, HE SHOWED HIM MORE MOVES THAN A GO-GO DANCER WITH A SHERIFF AT THE DOOR!!

"Moskel, the guy who kicked, was the only man left to stop John O'Leary! At the 25 yard-line, O'Leary ran right straight at him! And Moskel must have been just drooling with his arms out! And, O'Leary just threw him a left hip, and then a right hip...then he went the OTHER direction! And the guy just fell on his FACE at the 25 yard-line!

• Plus1 2