90s great programs current state

BoNeyard

Of the programs that were great in the 1990’s, who many would call “blue bloods” of college football, even at 0-4, Nebraska feels to be in the best position moving forward. I don’t know why, but even to this day I compare Nebraska to other 90s greats just like I checked in on how they were doing back in the 90s.

-miami: currently by far the best team, but look to have been topped out with Richt. They won’t go up, they won’t go down. 

-Tennessee: bad team. Train wreck of an athletic department. A head coach not many Vol fans are really that excited about. Feel they are sort of already thinking about who to hire in 2-3 years

-Florida state: Fans already done with Taggart. He really isn’t that great of a coach. FSU downgrades from Jimbo.

-Florida: seems like a revolving door there. Mullen was probably a good hire, but seems the pressure in Gainesville and the expectations are extremely high. They just fired a coach who had won two straight SEC East titles. 

Nebraska: Awful start, by far the worst start of any of the above mentioned teams.  But Nebraska just started a complete athletic and football program overhaul. They have a competent athletic director and a young head coach who gets the state and the program. No one saw this start happening, but if anyone can weather this dreadful start, it’s a Nebraskan, who played Nebraska football during its greatest times.

moving forward, even with a disappointed start, I feel best about Nebraska’s future compared to any of the other 90s powers. And around the time those other teams are on the coaching carousel again hoping to get back to their prime, Nebraska will probably be hitting their stride with Frost.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

All of the teams you mentioned:

-Have a national title more recently than us

-have a conference title more recently than us 

-have been ranked more recently than us

-have a win this year (Florida beat a ranked team tonight!)

- recruit better than us. 

Man it’s really time to stop window dressing this. We are spiraling and the people in charge might not know how to stop it

None of those programs I mentioned are coming off a 4-8 season and you are right, all of them have had more recent success than Nebraska. But here we all are, somehow in a way in the same boat. Florida being 3-2, to them that’s like 1-4. Seriously, they seemingly purposefully turned a decent coaching tenure into a dumpster fire. 

FSU had a bad year last year, but the cupboard wasn’t bare. Also it doesn’t take much effort to restock that cupboard.

Tennessee doesn’t seem to have much hope at all at this point, and Miami has never won a conference title since moving to the ACC.

Not trying to window dress this start, this is bad. But looking to the upcoming years? I like Nebraska’s chances out of any of the programs I mentioned. 

28 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

None of those programs I mentioned are coming off a 4-8 season and you are right, all of them have had more recent success than Nebraska. But here we all are, somehow in a way in the same boat. Florida being 3-2, to them that’s like 1-4. Seriously, they seemingly purposefully turned a decent coaching tenure into a dumpster fire. 

FSU had a bad year last year, but the cupboard wasn’t bare. Also it doesn’t take much effort to restock that cupboard.

Tennessee doesn’t seem to have much hope at all at this point, and Miami has never won a conference title since moving to the ACC.

Not trying to window dress this start, this is bad. But looking to the upcoming years? I like Nebraska’s chances out of any of the programs I mentioned. 

You missed the most important part. Recruiting. They do it on a much higher scale than us and that needs to change and change fast 

• Fire 1

Miami, FSU and Florida are for the most part good not great programs. They have strung together great stretches when they had great coaches. But their recruiting hotbed alone for whatever reason has not yielded the results you would expect. Just look at their all time wins. What has Florida ever done without Meyer or spurrier? What has Florida state ever done without Bowden or jimbo. Miami has won with a few different guys. 

Point being with their location and talent bed they should never win less than 10 but most times they do.

6 hours ago, MountainMan said:

You missed the most important part. Recruiting. They do it on a much higher scale than us and that needs to change and change fast 

At this point, the best high school recruits will choose any other of a large number of excellent programs over Nebraska. The new reality is that we are now a small fish in a big pond. This fact will take time to change - if we can.