Game clock rule changes

Personally I don't see the point of trying to shorten a game. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Presumably the game itself has been as long as it is now for the past 20 years. One could argue that an increase of passing has slowed the game down some, but I wouldn't call it significant.

I really don't see how taking 15 plays off the game is going to appreciably shorten it anyhow. Assuming the inclusion of incompletions, time outs, a couple of punts and first downs, its not ureasonable to say that at most the time taken off would be 15 minutes (roughly a minute per play seems like a large overestimation). Taking 15 minutes out of 3 1/2 hours and you're reducing game time by a whopping 7.14%. Now taking two series out of a game could really change things. Fewer plays, fewer breaks, less time to get worn down, etc.

All in all I think the whole idea is pointless. I believe it was Tuberville (Auburn) who said it was done to shorten the amount of time players and fans may have to spend in extreme heat and/or cold. Give me a break, every coach in America is subjecting his players to extreme heat right now. Again, who really thinks 15 minutes is going to make a difference?

Whoever says its about "shortening the length of the game" is full of it. Since it makes no sense otherwise, it must be about commercials and money. Pretty gay if you ask me. But it is the NCAA we're talking about. I can't say I'm surprised.

:yeah

Personally I don't see the point of trying to shorten a game. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Presumably the game itself has been as long as it is now for the past 20 years. One could argue that an increase of passing has slowed the game down some, but I wouldn't call it significant.

I really don't see how taking 15 plays off the game is going to appreciably shorten it anyhow. Assuming the inclusion of incompletions, time outs, a couple of punts and first downs, its not ureasonable to say that at most the time taken off would be 15 minutes (roughly a minute per play seems like a large overestimation). Taking 15 minutes out of 3 1/2 hours and you're reducing game time by a whopping 7.14%. Now taking two series out of a game could really change things. Fewer plays, fewer breaks, less time to get worn down, etc.

All in all I think the whole idea is pointless. I believe it was Tuberville (Auburn) who said it was done to shorten the amount of time players and fans may have to spend in extreme heat and/or cold. Give me a break, every coach in America is subjecting his players to extreme heat right now. Again, who really thinks 15 minutes is going to make a difference?

Whoever says its about "shortening the length of the game" is full of it. Since it makes no sense otherwise, it must be about commercials and money. Pretty gay if you ask me. But it is the NCAA we're talking about. I can't say I'm surprised.

I don't think the NCAA wants to make any drastic changes to take off a half hour or more per game. But they want to find little ways that can shave off the occasional minute here and minute there. Ways that will not affect the outcome of the game. These may only take off 5 minutes per game but it will lower there average game time around the nation. Why are they trying to lower? I don't know but I don't think it is that big a deal. You are probally right with trying to get more commericals and money. But nothing to really worry about in my opinion.

What a load of pu&&y-footed bullsh#t.

It's bad enough that we can't play bowl games in the snow anymore, like real men. I can't stand the warm weather crap, but even more so when it's being used like that, as a sort of subterfuge for maxing out the TV companies' profits.

But - as some was spot on when they said it before -

this IS the NCAA we're talking about....

:rickjames :hmmm

Nevertheless, :restore