** 2023 Previews: Bill Connelly's Big Ten West Preview **

21 hours ago, lo country said:

Dabo won his division in year 2.  HIs first full year.  2011 (his 3rd full year) he never looked back with 10 wins that year.  Clemson is my 2nd team I follow.  Fans knew he had it.  As far as Dantonio, his first 2 years he had winning seasons.  

Dabo rebounded in 2011 with a 10 win season, but also lost the Orange Bowl 70-33 that year. The jury was still very much out on him, and it took a while for the term 'Clemsoning' to fall out of fashion.

Anyways, my post had nothing to do with Frost. My only point is refuting the notion that year 2 is proof of anything. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Plenty of fraud coaches have had massive success in year 2, plenty haven't. Plenty of great coaches have also had success in year 2, plenty haven't. If Rhule has a great year 2, maybe that's proof he's great, maybe it isn't. You won't be able to know until later on in the future.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Dabo rebounded in 2011 with a 10 win season, but also lost the Orange Bowl 70-33 that year. The jury was still very much out on him, and it took a while for the term 'Clemsoning' to fall out of fashion.

Anyways, my post had nothing to do with Frost. My only point is refuting the notion that year 2 is proof of anything. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Plenty of fraud coaches have had massive success in year 2, plenty haven't. Plenty of great coaches have also had success in year 2, plenty haven't. If Rhule has a great year 2, maybe that's proof he's great, maybe it isn't. You won't be able to know until later on in the future.

Not disagreeing with you, but I think that after 2 years, you have a good to better than average idea of the coaches trajectory and/or ceiling.  Dabo was the WR coach and a complete unknown.  Even to the admns when he was announced.  He was going to get more than 2 years.  He also did a big coach move and fired Steele immediately after that loss.  Something that doomed more than one HC at NU was the inability to let someone go.  Rhule for example has been a head coach, coached at 2 different spots, and shown the ability to turn programs around (Baylor was on life support)  I think with his track record, we will have a good idea of what we have with him.  TBH, I think we see improvement from the jump.  Even if it doesn't immediately translate to wins.

• Plus1 1