2023-24 Season Notes

On 1/26/2024 at 12:54 PM, ECisGod said:

Fifteen allows double byes for the top 4 teams like they do now.  The ACC does it now with teams 10-15 playing on the first day and then it works like the current B1G bracket does for the last 4 days.

It becomes really complicated to give double byes with 16+ teams.  You can give the top two double byes, but you also end up with 6 games on day two & finding TV time for that many games would be difficult.  With each game taking about 2 hours and then 30 minutes between games for the teams in the next game to warm up you are looking at 15 1/2 hours (at least).

I guess I still don't understand why the first day isn't 9/16, 10/15, 11/14, 12/23 with the 9/16 winner playing the 8 the second day.

Four games each of the first three days.  They say it gives the 9 seed a bye but why is that so important?

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I still don't understand why the first day isn't 9/16, 10/15, 11/14, 12/23 with the 9/16 winner playing the 8 the second day.

Four games each of the first three days.  They say it gives the 9 seed a bye but why is that so important?

Why do you want so many byes?  When we have 16 teams, that's perfect for a bracket, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15...etc.  Having all the byes makes it virtually impossible for anyone not in the top 4 to win.

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do you want so many byes?  When we have 16 teams, that's perfect for a bracket, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15...etc.  Having all the byes makes it virtually impossible for anyone not in the top 4 to win.

I agree, but the conference seems to want the bottom teams to play right away, the middle teams to get a single bye & the top teams to get a double bye.

If they make all 18 teams eligible, you have to eliminate 10 teams the first two days to get to eight teams left.  You would have to have 4-6 games the first day, and then 6-4 games the second day (to get to a total of 10 games the first two days).

Six games the first day gets you two teams with a single bye (5,6) & four with a double bye (1-4).  First round game would be 7/18, 8/17, 9/16, 10/15, 11/14 & 12/13.  Second round games (assuming no upsets) would be 5/12, 6/11, 7/10 & 8/9. And you'd be at eight teams left for three days.

Five games the first day gets you five teams with a single bye (4-8) and three with a double bye (1-3).  First round games would be 9/18, 10/17, 11/16, 12/15 & 13/14.  Second games would be 4/13, 5/12, 6/11, 7/10 & 8/9.  Again, eight teams three days.

Four games the first day gets you eight teams with a single bye (3-10) and two with a double bye (1-2). First round games would be 11/18, 12/17, 13/16 & 14/15.  Second Round games would be 3/14, 4/13, 5/12, 6/11, 7/10 & 8/9.  Again, eight teams three days.

Each game will take at least 2 hours to play with 30 minutes between games.  Any day with 4 games will take at least 9.5 hours, any day with 5 games will take at least 12 hours & any day with 6 games will take at least 14.5 hours.

It's not impossible, but it becomes somewhat difficult to find TV time with other conference tournaments going on unless all the games on the first two games are on BTN.

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would love to know their reasoning.  Because as a fan, that really sucks.

I'm sure part of it is that the top teams guaranteed NCAA bids most years and they want them to play fewer games on consecutive days the week before the tournament starts.

2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

I'm sure part of it is that the top teams guaranteed NCAA bids most years and they want them to play fewer games on consecutive days the week before the tournament starts.

Then just have a conference tourney of the top half of the conference.  It’s a joke of a format. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then just have a conference tourney of the top half of the conference.  It’s a joke of a format. 

But then you lose TV money.  More games = more money.  Everyone knows high level college sports is all about the benjamins.

• TBH 2

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Please get at least one road win….please.  I beg you. 

Road wins would be great, but at least stop getting blown out.  I think they are on the right side of the bubble after last night's win, but if they keep getting blown out on the road the committee will say they don't deserve to be in because the games won't be at home.

• TBH 2