Put An End To The Early Season Spotlight Game

Obviously this year is unique with a new staff but overall our participation in an early season showcase game has been nothing but a disaster for us.  I struggle to see any benefit considering we weren't even the best game on TV yesterday yet this slot was sold as "owning the attention of CFB fans"-- that honor went to the Urban bowl aka Utah/Florida.  

Instead, we enter the season with either a tougher conf matchup, on the road or out of the country, sometimes all of the above.  What impact does this have?  Well, it gives us minimal runway to work out some of the kinks associated with a new season.  You can only learn so much with internal practices, particurally considering our situation where we've been subpar for years on end.  Jumping right into the lions den with a conf game gives us zero room to truly validate what we're working with and make adjustments accordingly.

We simply do not need these games anymore.  I am perfectly fine with scheduling a key non-con P5 opponent, but lets do that ideally in week 3, maybe 2.  

Put an end to this scheduling headache and allow this program to start a season with easier games that allows us to really vet what works from a personnel and play calling standpoint.  This works just fine for the Michigan's of the world that usually doesn't have a road game until the month of october. 

We don't need the added platform, our fans have proven we will show up and tune in. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

1 minute ago, secretasianman said:

Minnesota followed the assignment.  Schedule a lesser team, night game, National tv, bring in the recruits, win.  

Well, as much it pains me to say this, Minny is about 4 years of effective program development ahead of us.  Not to mention I believe this was their first time doing this while we've done this for 3 years now?  (not counting covid year)

3 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Obviously this year is unique with a new staff but overall our participation in an early season showcase game has been nothing but a disaster for us.  I struggle to see any benefit considering we weren't even the best game on TV yesterday yet this slot was sold as "owning the attention of CFB fans"-- that honor went to the Urban bowl aka Utah/Florida.  

Instead, we enter the season with either a tougher conf matchup, on the road or out of the country, sometimes all of the above.  What impact does this have?  Well, it gives us minimal runway to work out some of the kinks associated with a new season.  You can only learn so much with internal practices, particurally considering our situation where we've been subpar for years on end.  Jumping right into the lions den with a conf game gives us zero room to truly validate what we're working with and make adjustments accordingly.

We simply do not need these games anymore.  I am perfectly fine with scheduling a key non-con P5 opponent, but lets do that ideally in week 3, maybe 2.  

Put an end to this scheduling headache and allow this program to start a season with easier games that allows us to really vet what works from a personnel and play calling standpoint.  This works just fine for the Michigan's of the world that usually doesn't have a road game until the month of october. 

We don't need the added platform, our fans have proven we will show up and tune in. 

It probably helps with recruiting when your team plays well.

All the analyst thought Nebraska was going to lose to Minnesota anyways by 7.  Nebraska could have beat Northwestern last year and Minnesota this year so I don't see what the problem is by scheduling these teams first.  It just stinks that we couldn't overcome our mistakes.  Give Minnesota credit that they have gotten better under Fleck they will never be a powerhouse program but can be a tough rugged respectable team which they are.  I will never see the point of trolling other coaches especially when we are in no position to do the trolling.  Prepare, play, execute, and win.