My thoughts for our DB's

AF_Husker

First off, I think I need to make it clear that the DB position is one of the hardest to play in college football.

As a DB, you are always in REACTION mode. The WR has his route, knows where he is going, and will always be 'one step ahead'. As a DB you are constantly reacting to his moves, as well as reacting to the line (watching for a running play and watching the quarterback).

It's impossible to stop a passing game. However, there are ways to make improvements. Here are my thoughts:

Grixby: I know what the coaches say.... but 5'9" does NOT cut it in college football. He can jump high, have lots of heart, and have lots of 'skill', but that only goes so far. It's hard to jump and knockdown a pass when you are reacting to a WR and trying to keep an eye on the ball.

I think, if I were the coach, I would get my freshmen in there, as well as Tyrell Spain. Spain is a Jr. He has quickness. I think having that 6'3" frame makes a great wall. If I were a QB, I would think twice about throwing his direction, especially if he was taller than my WR. It cuts visibility and takes away that 'jump ball' throw.

I think about the 2003? season, with Bo Pelini. This was the year we played a lot of zone defense and had the most picks that year. I keep thinking how that was one of the best types of secondary defense's that I've seen. This might be something we consider doing more of.

Of course, yesterday we had like 6 blitz's, and I hope more of those will only help our secondary, by giving the QB less time to wait for a WR to get open.

My thoughts on your thoughts....

Height is nice, but not necessary to be a good cover corner in college football. You also have to remember that alot of those plays made on our secondary were made by one of the most talented receivers we are going to see all year, AND it was the first game AND we had three new starters back there AND Grixby was injured AND we didnt get a whole lot of pressure with our front four, which is something I was far more discouraged by than the play of our secondary. When a corner has no safety help, the idea is that the rush is going to get to the quarterback before the receiver can make it that far.