LaTech Review

Overall, I was relatively impressed from the Husker showing.

Your offense, after a slow start, began churning away at the LaTech D. Although they weren't terrible, that team has a lot of potential. I think Cody Glenn and Marlon Lucky could be a VERY effective 1-2 running combo. The others were ok as well, but those two should really help out. And as we all know, you NEED to run the ball effectively to take the pressure off Taylor and the passing game with Offensive Scheme Callahan wants to run.

Taylor looked impressive too, recovering nicely after that interception.

Overall your D probably has SOME room to improve, especially in the secondary. We all knew this would be the case with losing your safety (I forget his name). Howerver, they showed up well against a potent passing attack. Although there was room for improvement, they showed up well.

My overall impression of the game was that early mistakes were simply the result of the first game of the season. As the game wore on, the Huskers picked up steam and momentum and began to look polished. I think a couple more preseason games and you will be humming along on all cylinders. If this game is any indication, expect a good season. :thumbs

Hello Ag.

That was a nice analysis.

Completely agree with your thoughts that Lucky and Glenn could make a great 1-2 punch. I have a whole thread on what I think should be the 2-headed monster at running back, ie, Lucky and Glenn.

A lot of the posters here aren't ready to swallow that thought yet (many think this 4-man rotation thing will work throughout the entire season), but I think that as the season goes along that Lucky and Glenn will emerge as the main options.

I'm already looking forward to the Nebraska at Texas A&M game. Can't wait for it to get here!!

I actually like what I saw from all four. Jackson's run was the best play of the game. Kenny Wilson is green and is going through a learning curb, but did you see that speed on that TD run that was called back? I expect to see more of Wilson perhaps midway into the season as he gets more comfortable with the offense.

I saw some of it. I think that unless you can pressure the QB, you're gonna have trouble keeping them out of the endzone. Your secondary is adequate, but unfortunately, I don't think adequate is not sufficient vs. USC. They may have lost their 3 most potent offensive weapons, but their talent is too deep to be down for long. Not having a game next week means they will spend more time watching your game film.

They will be EXTREMELY well prepareed for the Huskers. You are on your way up, and they are in a bid to return to the MNC, and want to use you as a stepping stone.

I will do an AgMarauder CFB-style mini review...

Why USC might win: 4 different very talented RBs can be cycled in to run through any defense. In addition, they showed an adept skill at controlling the ball and tempo of the game. In addition, unless their QB Booty is pressured, he will have all day to pick apart a stout, yet unpredictable Husker secondary, still looking to plug a hole left by an injured safety. Their defense is strong, quick, and aggressive.

Why Nebraska might win: Very balanced passing and running attack will keep the USC D guessing. The loss of one of their star Safeties leaves USC vulnerable with a true freshman the replacement. This should allow for the occasional deep route to burn the Trojan secondary. In addition, the powerful combo of Cody Glenn and Marlon Lucky will allow Callahan to be flexible in order to keep the running game going, which is necessary for the West Coast Offense to succeed. The blackshirt D should keep the USC running game in check, and if they can pressure Booty, their passing will suffer.

What will (probably) happen: The first half will be very close. I think the talent and athleticism of USC will allow them a slim victory, but they are still too unproven to lock this up right now. IF USC wins, this could pave the way to a return to the MNC. IF Nebraska wins, this will establish momentum that will carry them to the Texas Game.

I certainly WANT Nebraska to win, and I think they can. But this is going to be a tough game and the Huskers have to play the BEST game they have played in years if they want to come away with the W.

EDIT: The reason I only mentioned 2 Tailbacks instead of 4 is that I was more impressed with Lucky and Glenn than the other two, but they had their moments too. Regardless, you will have a very good running attack to balance out the pass if your front line can hold against USC's.

:thumbs Gig 'Em Huskers!

Just wanted to thank you for the mini review - very well done - period. Can't say that I disagree with anything (except I think...really...call me nuts....a Nebraska victory).

This is going to be a hard fought game - and you are correct - believe me - they are studying Nebraska like CRAZY now - and they should - we are dangerous. Our advantage, I think, is even with 4 tight ends and 4 running backs - we are playing VERY vanilla - we really haven't given anything away. I beleive they have given away MORE.

And yes...a win at USC would make me...go nuts...of course.