How do we play the USC receivers??

Having Carriker line up all across the line is very beneficial for our defense. We can run so many different plays and give them so many different looks before the snaps. USC's running backs are going to have to know where he is at all times for pass plays. Having Carriker and Turner on one side will help Moore and possibly a blitzing linebacker from the other side get to the quarterback.

I think we're going to see a lot of shifting by the D-line and a lot of blitz packages to hopefully confuse the offense. I have to think Cally hasn't played all his cards yet with the defense in hopes of throwing out some new schemes this game.

Offensively, I look for us to create a solid running game early to bring the linebackers in close to the line of scrimmage and opening up the flats for TE's to get in behind their LB's and make some nice 15-20 catches. When the LB's drop back, our running game takes over again. I also look for Zac to throw some long passes downfield to keep their DB's and safeties honest.

well, regardless what happens, this should be fun to watch and see how cally and coz prepare/tweak the defense to cope with USC......i don't think they want to get too many guys "out of their regular positions"........as that may be doing more harm than good........but no doubt we will have to gamble with the blitz to keep Booty out of his rythm......we will get burned quite a few times, but suspect this strategy is the only one that gives us a chance......the O will have to turn it up too, to keep with them scorewise i suspect........

hunter

Hard to remember a Nebraska game that I was looking forward to - and, apprehensive about, so much.

If we don't play zone - we are dead. Disguised coverage is fine - but if we try to go man-to-man - we are toast. We HAVE to avoid the big plays, especially early.

Pressure on Booty's booty is key - let's see how he handles it.

USC's defense is...not much to worry about. Doubt they could stop the vanilla offense we have shown (which, even with a good D is hard to stop) and doubtful they will be able to handle an all out Husker attack.

Yes, I AM biased - however, I'm trying to also be very realistic. If Nebraska can find a way to avoid getting killed with the USC passing game - Nebraska WILL win.

Why? Hmmm.. 4 talented running backs, 4 talented tight ends. An experienced high pressure QB. Frankly, as the year went on last year, and Zac got comfy - he didn't make a lot of mistakes. Booty...played...one game..against Arkansas.

All Nebraska has to do is find a way to get GOOD consistent pressure on Booty (put him on his booty!) while being able to play zone - and, the game is ours to lose.

USC is great - they have a great coach and some very good players. I do think, however, that they are overrated. I also feel that Nebraska is very underrated. Guess we find out more...Saturday :)

I can't wait!!!!

i agree that many different forms of zone coverage will be key. I also thin that many different looks from the d line and the LB positions will be key, some 3-4, 4-4, 5-2, a bund of different formations will cause different coverages. also if i was coz, i might throw carriker as MLB for a few plays to add 7 inches to the middle of the field on some zones...force it to the sidleines for minimal gains instead of big ones over the middle. i mean he is fast, he ran with the LB's in the summer. many packages/coverages is the key.

I think the talk of Carriker moving to dt would be a good idea. Have him insided, and put Turner and Moore on the ends. That is a lot of speed and size coming towards the qb.

Finally someone is listening to what I'm saying!! Its gonna happen and it will definitely work!!! They are way too much to handle!! I dont care who you are!!!

i agree that many different forms of zone coverage will be key. I also thin that many different looks from the d line and the LB positions will be key, some 3-4, 4-4, 5-2, a bund of different formations will cause different coverages. also if i was coz, i might throw carriker as MLB for a few plays to add 7 inches to the middle of the field on some zones...force it to the sidleines for minimal gains instead of big ones over the middle. i mean he is fast, he ran with the LB's in the summer. many packages/coverages is the key.

I don't know about running a 4-4 but I do agree about using a bunch of different packages. Even using say a 2-5-4 or something to that effect where we can blitz any of the linebackers. Having Turner as a linebacker might not be too bad of an idea either. Or not having any down lineman but having five or six guys within a yard of the line of scrimmage and then only rushing a couple of them. Confusing the line and JDB will be key to winning this game.