Tom Shatel on USC game

I blame this loss on Callahan, not on the Husker players. They played hard and did what they could. I've read several articles and it sounds like the USC players were surprised at the size and strength of Nebraska. It's just too bad the game plan didn't allow our players to do more. I would much rather lose by a big margin and feel like we actually played hard than lose by a small margin with that worthless up-the-middle play over and over again.

I am a Callahan fan and think eventually he'll get us going, but I'm very frustrated after Saturday.

I was thinking the same thing. Open it up lets see what happens it's only one game. Maybe we hit some passes and the running lanes open up. Maybe it blows up on us and we get blown out, but it's better than sitting there and wondering what could have been. This Husker team can play with anybody if we open up the play book and give the kids a chance to show what they can do. Coach C has the team, hes brought in some good players and he knows how to coach. I think he's learning more about college coaching each week, hes going to be a hell of a head coach.

GBR!!!

Hey guys,

This is my first chance to weigh in on this game since I recently moved to K.C. and don't have a home computer yet (i'm at the library) but I gotta stick up for the coach on this one. Yes I was frustrated by not throwing one time on 1st down the entire first half. Yes I was frustrated by running pitches to the outside 3 different times on third and short. Yes I was frustrated by playing deep off of SC receivers and letting them dink and dunk screen passes and out patterns all day. However, I think there was a definite method to the madness. Coach C knew that if we were to have a chance ball control was going to be the single biggest issue of the game. He also knew that running the ball, stopping the run, and winning the turnover battle was the quickest, if not most exciting, road to victory. We ran the ball, we stopped the run, we controlled the clock. If there isn't a botched handoff, a number of dropped interceptions, and a few other miscues we are right there in the fourth quarter. So when people say that callahan was playing not to lose rather than to win, I think that in this particular case, that was the best strategy. The best defense possible is to not give the other team the ball. I do think that we played a little to conservative, but if not for the few problems listed above, we may have won and people would be singing praises. Coach callahan realized that USC did have superior size and athleticism on offense and that no matter how good our defence is we didn't match up with them. Example, 3rd and 22. They had that all day, except when we had the ball.