Will we rise again????

califan2006

While watching the USC game something became very clear to me. As a Nebraska Native who moved to Southern California 6 years ago, I understand a huge problem we are going to have in the future: Will we have the ability to recruit the 5 star prospects out of the state of Nebraska. The talent base for most passing schools in either California, Texas, or Florida; and it is hard to get players to leave these sunshine states to come to Nebraska. Granted we have pulled some talent out of California but its mosty the leftovers of USC. Callahan is pulling from the Junior College level to fill obvious gaps in talent levels. Nothing against Callahan, who is a great recruiting coach, but he has his work cut out for him. What used to work for Osborne was the hard nosed farm kids who would show up and lift a house and just flat run people over, but those days are gone now with the passing game. I played many a football games in Nebraska and I think we went over how to pass block for 10 minutes a season (-sarcasm-). The rest was plow forward and knock the guy on his rear end, regardless of what school he played for, because you had the best work ethic in the country and your job was not to show you were more athletic but to show you could hit somebody so hard they forgot their name.

Don't judge on a loss to one of the greatest dynasties of all times.

Callahan is going to need more time! I emphasize this greatly, as someone with a background in football. What a lot of people aren't realizing is that he is adjusting every day, and looking for perfection to bring to Nebraska, and when that day comes look out. Because the Huskers will be on a level never seen before. How and when this comes about is only a matter of time and patience. The problem I mentioned above is something that is going to take time, and don't be surprised if you see coach Bill run an option this year and bring back Hard Hitting Husker Offense, because I can see that Bill is adjusting to play with what he has, and what is to come. He is a great Coach.

GBR

THE SEA OF RED WILL RISE AGAIN!!!!!!!

Well there probably aren't going to be very many 5 star recruits in Nebraska. At least compared to what they will have out in California. USC can lock up the best instate talent and get a boat load of players. And most of then will be 4 and 5 star recruits. What do they have out in California now, 40 million people? That's a lot more football talent than we have here. So Callahan has to go out of state to get a lot of our players. I think we can rise again, and at some point win another national title, but we still need to do a lot of rebuilding. I fully expect us to win the north this year, which is a huge step in the right direction, but we have got there with a lot of JC players. Which are a temporary fix. So is Keller. I quess what it comes down to is time. This is only Callahan's third season. If he had a few more recruiting classes under his belt we just may have pulled off the upset.

And just maybe we(the team) are on the cusp of doing just that. Not upsetting other teams but being the team that has to be upset. Next year or the year after. How many years did we go 9-3 before the second set of NC's? I hope we don't have to wait that long but we did it once and we can do it again if we have to. The mid to late 70's and 80's were great years but no NC. Close but no cigar.

There are two options:

1. The buzzard says "Patience my ass, I'm going to kill something."

2. Patience is a virtue.

One avenue is no satisfaction unless it is quick and the other is when the time is right.

GBR

And just maybe we(the team) are on the cusp of doing just that. Not upsetting other teams but being the team that has to be upset. Next year or the year after. How many years did we go 9-3 before the second set of NC's? I hope we don't have to wait that long but we did it once and we can do it again if we have to. The mid to late 70's and 80's were great years but no NC. Close but no cigar.

There are two options:

1. The buzzard says "Patience my ass, I'm going to kill something."

2. Patience is a virtue.

One avenue is no satisfaction unless it is quick and the other is when the time is right.

GBR

That's because most of the younger Husker generation doesn't remember those times during the 70's and 80's. They only remember the 90's when life was good at Nebraska!

Do what you want, say what you want. However, IMO we give him the same 5 years we gave Solich who did play for 1 NC! Again, winning the Big 12 North doesn't mean much if all the other teams in the division have a losing record which is a very good possibility. Basically, we're winning the North by default. It's amazing how times change. When the Big 12 was formed, the South was the whipping boy with teams making the big game by default. Now, it's the North.

I must ask this question for all of those who believe we can recruit the 4 and 5 star athletes out of Cali, Texas, and Florida: how are we gonna compete when those athletes can go to USC and get a six figure income for them and their family while playing college ball? Seriously, OU doesn't seem to have any trouble plucking the best out of Texas. What does OU have to offer than NU doesn't?

Some guys think the gameplan was good against USC, but others think it was horrible considering we supposedly have the best QB in the Big 12 and rarely ever passed the ball. If you're a recruit from California watching that game, I'm betting you are scratching your head saying what in the hell was that all about. I thought if anything, that game really hurt our recruiting ability in the state of California as it appeared we were not playing to win.

If anyone thinks we're giving BC the amount of time we did Osbourne, you need to have your head examined. The alumn's and Board of Regents are not going to be very patient. We killed NU football as we knew it 3 years ago. We are a business now baby! You must win, win often, and win fast. I'm guessing we only lose 3 games this year. We must get to the top or very near the top within 2 to 3 years or BC is as good as gone. I mean come on, Miami is really thinking about firing Coker. He's won his titles, and the graduation rate of football players has never been higher. Yet, he's more than likely terminated by the end of the year. It's all business. BC's clock is ticking!

Tom Osborne didn't always have top recruiting classes and was able to compete most of his coaching career. Most people put way too much stock in stars.Of course there are exceptions to every rule but, STARS MEAN NOTHING IMO!

GBR! :wootx2

Fresno State doesn't/didn't have nearly the talent we do and look what they did to USC. Then they decided to lose to 2 bad WAC teams, but they gave USC all they could handle.