O-line & Secondary

I've finally gotten over the loss and want some real discussion on what to take from the game....

Ok, I do realize that this O-line is night and day difference from last year. So this isn't meant to :steam anyone. But, to me, that is the one place on offense where we were clearly outmanned (as indicated by our rushing statisitcs). What do we need to do to see continued improvement in this area so we are competing for an MNC one day?

Next, on the secondary, the one place on defense where we couldn't stop them. I mean, I don't think we will see a set of wideouts again like that for a long time. However, if we want to play for an MNC, we have to be able to stop teams like this. What do we need to see the necessary improvement in the secondary to win an MNC?

Just trying to get some productive - "what did we learn from the game" discussion going. So please, let's stop with the game plan. I didn't like it either, but it was what it was.

What do we need to do to see continued improvement in this area so we are competing for an MNC one day?

More practice. More experience

What do we need to see the necessary improvement in the secondary to win an MNC?

Zachary Bowman and Isiah Fluellen back in the rotation. And maybe a few good sized recruits.

Bottom line IMO is there's no quick fix to all of this. We have to play with what we've got and hope the players can do their best.

From Huskers.com:

TE (Y):

11 MATT HERIAN***, 6-5, 245, Sr., Pierce, Neb.

85 J.B. PHILLIPS**, 6-3, 245, Jr., Colleyville, Texas

81 Josh Mueller**, 6-5, 265, Jr., Columbus, Neb.

LT:

54 Chris Patrick*, 6-4, 290, Jr., Ithaca, Mich.

76 Lydon Murtha*, 6-7, 315, So., Hutchinson, Minn.

LG:

65 GREG AUSTIN***, 6-1, 295, Sr., Cypress, Texas

62 Andy Christensen, 6-3, 300, So., Bennington, Neb.

C:

50 KURT MANN**, 6-4, 290, Sr., Grand Island, Neb.

59 Brett Byford, 6-3, 300, Jr., Hartselle, Ala.

RG:

61 Mike Huff*, 6-4, 305, So., Ralston, Neb.

67 Jacob HIckman, 6-4, 280, Fr., Bakersfield, Calif.

RT:

70 Matt Slauson*, 6-5, 335, So., Colorado Springs, Colo.

77 Carl Nicks, 6-5, 325, Jr., Salinas, Calif.

WR (X):

87 NATE SWIFT*, 6-2, 195, So., Hutchinson, Minn.

7 Frantz Hardy*, 6-1, 180, Jr., Miami, Fla. - or -

16 Maurice Purify, 6-4, 210, Jr., Eureka, Calif.

4 Menelik Holt, 6-4, 215, Fr., San Diego, Calif.

WR (Z):

83 TERRENCE NUNN**, 6-0, 185, Jr., Houston, Texas

17 Todd Peterson*, 6-4, 210, So., Grand Island, Neb.

FB:

41 DANE TODD***, 5-11, 235, Sr., Lincoln, Neb.

42 Matt Senske, 6-3, 235, Jr., Bellevue, Neb.

IB:

20 Marlon Lucky*, 6-0, 210, So., North Hollywood, Calif. - or -

34 Cody Glenn*, 6-0, 230, So., Rusk, Texas

32 Brandon Jackson*, 5-11, 210, Jr., Horn Lake, Miss. - or -

27 Kenny Wilson*, 6-0, 220, Jr., Liberal, Kan.

QB:

13 ZAC TAYLOR*, 6-2, 210, Sr., Norman, Okla.

12 Joe Ganz, 6-1, 200, So., Palos Heights, Ill.

15 Beau Davis, 6-4, 185, So., Venice, Calif.

This by the way was the depth chart for the USC game. I count 5 seniors. But most of the backup guys have gotten a lot of playing time so I don't expect a huge drop-off in talent, if any, next year. This also doesn't list Hildebrand and Keller for the QB position.

Grixby needs to grow about 4-5 inches. ;)

Jones needs to get more game experience and Bowman hurts us a lot. He was set to have a big year. I think the Green and Shanle have played well this year but have yet to be tested in the passing game. Most of Jarretts catches were either to the sideline or quick hits so it was just one on one with the CB. We also need a rush to help take some of the pressure off the CB's. I think our front four has been playing well but they aren't getting a push up th emiddle. I don't know if this means we should play Suh more or what.

I definitely agree that the key to our type of defense is the two middle defensive lineman. If they get a good push up the middle, this eats up blocks and free's up both the DE's and the LB's to make plays (see the Ravens and the difference a certain Husker de-committ is making on their D-line this year).

I think both of these guys will get better as the year progresses, as will our O-line. And hopefully, we will see Jones make similar strides as Bowman did last year at CB.

Anyone think that having Green play the nickel back position (as well as starting safety) would help in multiple wide receiver sets. He seemed to do OK as a CB last year?

Haven't we been bitching about our offensive line for the past 3 years? Wasn't Callahan supposedly an offensive line coach? Since the Callahan era began, the O-Line has definitely been a liability. Is this because we have no talent? I don't know, but if I was guessing I'd say it's because the schemes are too difficult for these guys to grasp. Except for the fullback position, most of the guys listed on the roster are BC recruits. I'm assuming he's recruiting the kind of players he wants. I realize Mann was a Solich recruit, but then again he's supposedly one of the best linemen of the group. With the offensive line, I'm pointing my finger at Callahan. It's the one position I thought would be the best due to his coaching background.

The secondary is basically bad because of injury, inexperience, and loss of players. Ever since BC came here, guys in the secondary haven't stuck around long. We lost a couple of junior after his first season. We lost one this spring. I don't know what the problem is with keeping these guys here, but we sure are having problems.

IMO, we won't be playing for a NC anytime soon. We need an experienced QB and more pieces to the puzzle. We won't have an experienced QB for quite a while. How many more recruiting classes in the 30's can we tolerate like the 06 class was? I thought we were recruiting speed. After watching the game over and over, our speed doesn't even compare. Does anyone notice anything different about the speed of our linebacking core when comparing it to what we had in the mid-90's? I think we have some speed in the secondary, and we will eventually be ok there. Where is our 6'5" fast receivers like USC's? Why aren't we recruiting any of these guys? I get so confused with each recruiting class of BC's. Last year we had 7 QB's on scholarship I believe. How much confidence does anyone have in our backups if Taylor goes down to injury? We continually run 4 different RB's in and out. No one has a chance to get in a rhythm. If we'd recruit for other skill positions as hard as we do for RB, then maybe we'd have quite a few holes already filled in the roster.

We're only going to lose probably 2 games, stike that 3 games this year (USC, Texas, Texas or OU). However, we're not going to be beating any ranked teams this year. The Big 12 North is about as bad as I've ever seen it. CU won't win a game, KU is not good at all, Iowa State is average even for them, KState who knows, and Mizzou lost Brad Smith and has an idiot for a coach. It is very likely that all the teams in the North except for NU will have a losing record by the end of the season. How much stock are we gonna put into making the Big 12 Championship game when the rest of the teams have losing records? If Texas loses another game, the Big 12 will be about as weak as it's ever been since it's inception. We're gonna have a good record at the end of the season.

I'm definitely in agreement that with Wags & Callahan, I thought our O-line would, by now, be our strength. However, I'm still willing to give him at least one more year on the development of the zone blocking scheme with these guys. I've just seen too much improvement from last year to this year to give up on the O-line coaches now.

Our LB's are due to Coz I believe - a Big 10, big & slower (not slow mind you, but not lightning quick) Crew. Coz is more about assignment football and stoppping the power running game than he is about lightning fast LB's flying all over the field. This has always been a complaint of mine, but I have no basis other than watching games to really complain (i.e. I think he is slightly more qualified than I am to judge talent).

I also agree that I have questioned some of the recruiting - we seem very over stocked at some positions and not enough talent at others. IMHO, Coach C is still growing in his re-education of college football, and their is definitely a learning curve from be an assistant coach in college and now "calling the shots". I feel there is still room for improvement in our recruiting strategies and hope to see the coaching staff grow in this area each and every year.

We aren't there yet. But I still believe we are getting there. However, I doubt seriously Coach C will win a MNC with his first contract. But I'll keep the faith.

Hell, maybe we'll win out & play USC again this year for the MNC? :dumdum

Except for the fullback position, most of the guys listed on the roster are BC recruits.  I'm assuming he's recruiting the kind of players he wants.  I realize Mann was a Solich recruit, but then again he's supposedly one of the best linemen of the group.

Actually 3 of the five starters are Solich recruits. Austin and Patrick are both guys Frank brought.

Where is our 6'5" fast receivers like USC's?  Why aren't we recruiting any of these guys?

Guys like Jarrett don't come around all the time. Every team in the Nation is wondering where their guy like that is not just us.

Mizzou lost Brad Smith and has an idiot for a coach.  It is very likely that all the teams in the North except for NU will have a losing record by the end of the season.

These guys are going to have to completely tank the rest of the year if they are going to have a losing record. They will be 4-0 after beating up on GOT FRANK this weekend and they have to play the rest of the crappy Big 12 North. They aren't as bad as you make them out to be.

Our LB's are due to Coz I believe - a Big 10, big & slower (not slow mind you, but not lightning quick) Crew.

I'm not saying "Big 10" Linebackers are as fast as the FSU guys but there were 5 Big 10 linebackers drafted last year before the first Big 12 one was. According to the Rivals All American teams from last year 2 of the First Teamers were from Big 10 schools and 2 of the 3 3rd Teamers were as well. There was 1 Big 12 guy on the 2nd team. I don't like when people say "Big 10" linebackers like it is a bad thing. I don't know about you but I would take A.J. Hawk over Ernie Simms any day of the week. I picked those two because Hawk is Big 10 an dSimms was how most considered the fastest LB in the nation last year.

I get what you are saying though about Cosgroves style of assignment over ballhawking. If you notice a lot of times the last few years the players have been in the right positions they just haven't always made the plays.

First of all, I thought Murtha was a stud. Then why isn't he starting over Patrick? Murtha is a BC recruit. Now you're down to 2 and like I said Mann is supposed to be the best. Looks like maybe the Solich linemen are better than what BC can muster up with 3 of the 5 starting?

I didn't say we needed a receiver as good as Jarrett. I said where is our 6'5 receiver? Just like Randy Moss, there aren't many guys that tall with that kind of speed. However, there are a lot of 6'4 and 6'5 receivers. They just aren't as fast, but can be very good possession receivers. We at least need possession receivers who can go up top and get the ball over smaller quicker defensive backs. Some of our receiver going back to last season have very suspect hands. I was expecting more from the O-Line and the receiving corps. by now!

I noticed you didn't debate Mizzou's coach being an idiot. With the Jeckyl and Hyde performance week in and week out from Mizzou, how can we really take them seriously. My wife also says Mizzou will be tough. I just don't see it yet. They have been beaten pretty bad by some bad teams in the past. After looking at their schedule, yes they might have a winning record at the end of the season. However; I think they lose to TT, A&M, OU, NU, maybe KState, and maybe Iowa State. Worst case scenario is 6-6. Again, losing season with worst case. They are a wild card, and I will give you that. However, they are inexperienced and NU shouldn't have any trouble with them.

I've finally gotten over the loss and want some real discussion on what to take from the game....

Ok, I do realize that this O-line is night and day difference from last year. So this isn't meant to :steam anyone. But, to me, that is the one place on offense where we were clearly outmanned (as indicated by our rushing statisitcs). What do we need to do to see continued improvement in this area so we are competing for an MNC one day?

Next, on the secondary, the one place on defense where we couldn't stop them. I mean, I don't think we will see a set of wideouts again like that for a long time. However, if we want to play for an MNC, we have to be able to stop teams like this. What do we need to see the necessary improvement in the secondary to win an MNC?

Just trying to get some productive - "what did we learn from the game" discussion going. So please, let's stop with the game plan. I didn't like it either, but it was what it was.

O-line? Probably only patience...

How to help the corners?

Fire Coz.